Page 13 of 109 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW-TO: Connect Sixaxis to Ubuntu trough bluetooth mode

Beans

Re: HOW-TO: Connect Sixaxis to Ubuntu trough bluetooth mode

Quote Originally Posted by marcoshayeb View Post
    When I try to install sixa-extra-modules on my PS3, I get the following:

Unpacking replacement sixa-extra-modules ...
    Setting up sixa-extra-modules (0.2a-falktx9) ...
    -m64 build flag was set
    sixad-bin: no process killed
    gcc -m64 -Wall -O2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -c -o uinputdev.o uinputdev.c
    gcc -m64 -Wall -O2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -c -o sixsrv.o sixsrv.c
    gcc uinputdev.o sixsrv.o -m64 -Wall -O2 -D_GNU_SOURCE -o sixad-bin -lbluetooth
    /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-linux-gnu/4.3.3/../../../libbluetooth.so when searching for -lbluetooth
    /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libbluetooth.so when searching for -lbluetooth
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lbluetooth
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [sixad-bin] Error 1
    cp: cannot stat `/tmp/sixa_extra/sixad-bin': No such file or directory
    rm -f uinputdev.o sixsrv.o sixad-bin

Any idea on how to avoid this?
    I don't have a PS3 so I don't really know how to solve this. Try checking if there's a "PPC" related package in synaptic - try out any packages (in Synaptic) like "make-ppc" or "gcc-multilib-pcc".
    This error occurs because of some missing files. So basically, if those file are present, it will compile fine.
    I'll also search for this on the web, to see if I can find something

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Enjeru View Post
    python-qt4 version: 4.4.3-1ubuntu1

EDIT: Looked around launchpad and saw version 4.4.4-2ubuntu1~intrepid1 was available as a backport; everything works (except using accelerometer, but I can only test this in USB mode since I don't have bluetooth on this machine) after enabling backports in software sources and upgrading.
    Nice to know this.
    So, if anyone uses Intrepid, it will require backports...

And you're right; the gyro doesn't work on USB mode. I could make it work, but it will require lots of work (maybe kernel re-compilation...), and I basically only use it on bluetooth mode (which I think is much more important).
    Of course you'll need to connect to USB to charge the battery, but usually 2-4 hours charges it completely, while it takes several days to use all the battery

Beans

Update:
    While I was helping my brother on his wedding, I didn't had time for working on QtSixA. Now that is over, it's time to work again.

I'm preparing the v0.4, that will allow to add custom input profiles. It will also have a preferences window that will remember if you want systray or some other misc options.

The donations are going fine, now having $42.34 USD. (paypal usually takes a small fee...)
    This means I should be able to get a keypad soon. It also means the GUI need a new tab - just for the keypad (?) - so users from different countries can perfectly use it (the buttons on the keypad may change layout depending on the country)

Beans

Update:
    I've updated the accelerometer drivers. And because they have different names like "QtSixA modules", "new drivers", etc... we'll just call them 'sixad'

The new update has now (partial) udev support, meaning it will auto-stop bluetooth and start 'sixad', wait 15 seconds, then restore bluetooth again.
    This works fine in Karmic, but I'm not sure how it will work on previous versions (Jaunty and Intrepid).
    Also, the PPC/PS3 compiling problem may be fixed now (please test!)

Since this introduces some new stuff (udev auto-detection), please do the following testing:
    1. Update your Ubuntu:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    2. Reboot (required!) - Please restart with the bluetooth stick/pen connected
    3. After restarting, please wait until the desktop is fully loaded
    4. Press the PS button on one Sixaxis only.

At this point, bluetooth should be stopped (the gnome/KDE-bluetooth icon on systray should go away);
    3-5 seconds later the LED animation should start, meaning it was connected;
    Then after around 5 seconds, the BT icon should be restored (bluetooth was restored).
    At least this is what happens to me.

Please report what happens in your Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

OK, here's an idea that may not be possible to implement but could be cool: since each Sixaxis/DS3 has an individual ID, would it be possible to assign a particular key layout to a specific controller everytime you auto-connect? Like if I have two controllers, one is always player 1 and one is always player 2, and the computer remembers which is which?

BTW, the last update (have not updated yet this week) allows me to see the list of keys, but it seems to extend below my screen in the popup. I may just need to adjust my font size though, as I have it set to enormous since it is on my TV. Thanks for all the work so far!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Polk1986 View Post
    OK, here's an idea that may not be possible to implement but could be cool: since each Sixaxis/DS3 has an individual ID, would it be possible to assign a particular key layout to a specific controller everytime you auto-connect? Like if I have two controllers, one is always player 1 and one is always player 2, and the computer remembers which is which?

BTW, the last update (have not updated yet this week) allows me to see the list of keys, but it seems to extend below my screen in the popup. I may just need to adjust my font size though, as I have it set to enormous since it is on my TV. Thanks for all the work so far!
    This could be a little more difficult...
    Usually we only get a Sixaxis MAC/ID when we connect it, so this way we probably need you to press the PS twice (1 - identification; 2- connection).
    But I'll try this as soon as I get the 0.4 ready (maybe for 0.4.1)

And that list-of-keys-bug... I know about it; I was trying to make it with a scrollbar on the right... I'll fix that soon

Beans

I posted this on my blog and I'll post it here too:

Maybe you notice that the QtSixA icon says "SixA" instead of QtSixA...
    Or maybe you don't like much of the icon...

Well, I don't like it much as well. But, every application needs an icon.

What do you say about creating an icon for QtSixA?
    And what about a splash screen too?

I'll be waiting for comments!

Beans

I just wanted to make you guys aware that QtSixA 0.4.0 will be available soon.

I've been working on the udev rule (auto-load sixad), so that no more "starting modules" is needed (and also QtSixA...)
    It will be possible too assign a profile for a controller or keypad. Maybe only for 0.4.1, but it will happen
    The "input profiles" Sixaxis pictures will be replace by an SVG ones, making QtSixA real GPL

If I manage to get it ready/stable soon, I'll try to make it appear in the universe Ubuntu repositories, for Karmic

Beans

Update:
    QtSixA 0.4.0 (Beta) as been released!

Because it's beta, some of the GUI option and buttons don't work yet.
    But the "Link Quality" related actions are now available - You can use this to, for example, shutdown your PC when your Sixaxis or Keypad link/signal reaches 30% quality.

Here's the full changelog:
    -----------------------------
    - You can now add your own custom input profiles
    - Disconnect menu now also displays device's name
    - Added "Change Input Profile" to menu (disabled for now)
    - Added "Preferences" to Options menu (moved systray options there)
    - sixad now displays all devices detected (even if non-Sony)
    - Add debian dependency "qt4-qtconfig" (needed for changing Qt theme)
    - Only try to check battery if the selected device is a Sixaxis
    - New tab "Outro" (with some widgets from the old "Advanced" tab)
    - New "Advanced" tab (disabled for now)
    - Replaced "Stop QtSixA Modules" for "Sixpair Setup" in 'Quick Tasks'
    - Added "Stop Bluetooth" action to Tasks menu
    - (Maybe) PS3 remotes will appear on the 'list of devices' when connected through bluetooth
    - "Start QtSixA Modules" renamed to 'old'; Only starts Old hidd connection
    [sixad is now auto-started when needed]
    - Removed the splash screen
    - Added an update information when starting QtSixA
    - Added "Donate" menu action (in Help)
    - Added names of people that donated QtSixA, in the About-Thanks tab
    - Lots of other small fixes and improvements
    - Mark this release as Beta

Happy vacations, if that's the case!

Beans

Update: (0.4.0 Beta 2)

Changelog:
    * Re-Added bluez-sixa as debian dependency [Why was it removed??]
    * Do not refresh "Advanced" tab automatically (causes visual bugs)
    * All web links are now in "Help" -> "Web Links" (Also added "Ubuntu Forums" and "Submit Idea")
    * Added "Sixaxis Reference" to Help menu
    * Added python2.5 or python2.6 as debian dependency
    * Notifications are now implemented [through libnotify-bin]
    * Override system-wide set profiles through MAC/ID-Check is now implemented (only for bluetooth, using sixad)
    [This will not be possible for USB cause it would require modifying the kernel...]
    * All widgets in "Outro" and "Advanced" tabs are now not checkable
    * Added missing status tips where convenient (still need some more)
    * Removed support for PS3 remotes in sixad (BlueZ officially supports them, not need for an extra driver)
    * Marked as Beta 2

Only some minor stuff doesn't work now. I'll try to make all GUI features enabled for the final 0.4.0, but I can't promise that all stuff will be implemented.

You may also notice that is now possible to notify when a Sixaxis/Remote/Keypad is connected; it uses 'libnotify-bin', so it looks very nice in Gnome or KDE 4.3. You should try it out!

Page 13 of 109 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast