Thread: Network connection restarts, stops working

Beans

Network connection restarts, stops working

This is a problem that has started on or around the upgrade to 9.04. My desktop has run perfectly for at least a year on Ubuntu, now all of a sudden, after being up for anywhere from a week to a couple days, the internet stops working. It started with the main DNS going down and only being able to access previously cached hosts. I thought maybe it was pdnsd, so I uninstalled that. After a few reboots it worked just from thrashing around. Now this morning, I noticed nothing is working. I scour the logs and see this

Code:
    Jun 16 22:49:00 fenster kernel: [875996.740945] r8169: eth0: link down
    Jun 16 22:49:00 fenster NetworkManager: <info>  (eth0): carrier now OFF (device state 8) 
    Jun 16 22:49:00 fenster NetworkManager: <info>  (eth0): device state change: 8 -> 2 
    Jun 16 22:49:00 fenster NetworkManager: <info>  (eth0): deactivating device (reason: 40). 
    Jun 16 22:49:00 fenster NetworkManager: <info>  eth0: canceled DHCP transaction, dhcp client pid 5876 
    Jun 16 22:49:00 fenster NetworkManager: <info>  (eth0): removing resolv.conf from /sbin/resolvconf 
    Jun 16 22:49:01 fenster named[9211]: connection refused resolving 'local/SOA/IN': 192.5.5.241#53
    Then there are thousands and thousands of iterations of the last line. I have a sneaking suspicion it is NetworkManager's fault, but that could just be because I'm suspicious of it for having capitalized names like a Java class.

Seriously, though, I'm completely perplexed. I am used to a static resolv.conf that I can troubleshoot, but this has been quite the thorn in my side becuase it's hard for me to figure out exactly where the configuration files are.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Network connection restarts, stops working

See here

Beans

Re: Network connection restarts, stops working

Quote Originally Posted by redmk2 View Post
    See here
    Excellent. I just got a chance to do this. I just threw away NetworkManager and set up resolv.conf like it should be, and everything works. Imagine that.

Thanks.