Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Is A Browser?

Beans
    Hidden!

Thumbs down What Is A Browser?

i just want to share this video about google employees asking people in NY what is a browser,,,=)

link
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare

Linux User #484611 | Ubuntu User #26153 | Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What Is A Browser?

I cringed so hard at this earlier. I feel so lucky to be so geeky sometimes because being *that* unaware of something as simple as a browser would be just... Arrgh!

It does highlight some very important issues for both browser makers, Google and, i think, the linux community: If people aren't able to tell the difference between a browser and a search engine hell knows what they'd think an operating system is!

In fact there were some glorious quotes on a tech help forum i used to use where in order to help people you'd have to ask what OS they use and you'd get all manner of bizarre and naive answers such as "office 2000", "dell" or "google"...
    OMG! Ubuntu!
    Everything Ubuntu. Daily.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

It just goes to show how the best kind of computer advertising works, you don't quote technical details, you just demonstrate it and make sure it looks fancy.

Beans

This doesn't surprise me at all.

Nobody even mentioned a file browser.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The real fact is, people don't care what OS they use - Windows , Linux etc..., as long as it works without them doing anything

Perfect example my sister had a computer with XP installed for uni but after 3 years she wanted a laptop so sold my laptop to her - December 2007 with Ubuntu 7.10 and explained a few things and differences but for the year she had it, the calls and requests where reduced as it worked as easy as XP for her.

However i know there is no real average user but most people who are not computer minded, don't care as long as it works
    Simple is designed and created by using the very best icons created by the open source community

Simple - Download Link

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

People have been so brainwashed into thinking computers are much too difficult to understand and they shouldn't even try. You even mention computers and people go "uh, oh, I don't know anything".

Beans
    Hidden!

just surprised me, even if you said 'internet browser' as a whole, they wouldn't know the difference...

yeah, most people don't even know what an OS is, and they are missing a lot of good things,,,

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Sealbhach View Post
    People have been so brainwashed into thinking computers are much too difficult to understand and they shouldn't even try. You even mention computers and people go "uh, oh, I don't know anything".

and brainwashed that people who like computers are automatically geeks or nerds..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by konqueror7 View Post
    and brainwashed that people who like computers are automatically geeks or nerds..
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealbhach View Post

Your right,i was doing some training for person yesterday and they though knowing how to use web browsers features easily such as using tabs in IE, Firefox was a bit nerdy

Another example yesterday, the person told me they (the computer shop) had installed Microsoft Office, i loaded XP up and it was Open Office when i told them it was Open Office not Microsoft Office they said could they still do letters.
    Simple is designed and created by using the very best icons created by the open source community

Simple - Download Link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I wonder what the answers would have been in a non english-speaking country as they most likely would not have known the meaning of the word browse. I guess that more people would have said IE or Firefox.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast