Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dell Vostro 1720

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Dell Vostro 1720

Quote Originally Posted by nielz View Post
    I just got a Dell Vostro 1720 and installed Ubuntu on it. I'm posting this so others will know what to expect (and I hope to get some help with the remaining issues).

* Installation of Ubuntu hung unless I used safe graphics mode
    * The keyboard + touchpad often only works after I've rebooted a couple of times. The keyboard works fine in grub and the bios though.
    * When I use the headphone jack the laptop's speakers don't turn off. I think this is due to Bug 382836. (Fixed, but only in karmic).
    * My wifi has mysteriously disappeared after working fine for a few days.

My specific config has (I took this from the order confirmation):
    * Dell Wireless 1397 Mini Card (802.11 b/g) European
    * Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.4GHz, 1066MHz FSB,3MB L2 cache)
    * 512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 9600M GS Graphic Card Black
    I've got the same configuration except processor is T5870 and not P8600. I installed Karmic 64-bit and everything works out of the box except graphics card and wireless. the hardware drivers need to be enabled for this. After the hardware drivers are enabled, everything works. It seems the card reader is not working but that's a small issue i suppose. Not sure why people having problems with jaunty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: Dell Vostro 1720

just forgot to mention there. the laptop seems to run a littlle hotter in ubuntu compared to windows. seems the fan speed control is different. the fan does run so atleast nothing to worry about.

Beans

Just installed Ubuntu 9.10 on a Vostro 1720 recently.

Nearly everything worked out of the box, except the wireless and graphics. Graphics were an easy fix, just install the drivers, however wireless continues to be elusive.

Not absolutely essential that I have the wireless, I am dual booting with Windows 7 and can virtualize the Ubuntu if I need to, getting wireless that way, however it would be nice to get the wireless working natively.

I've tried the WifiDocs, I have a driver, the driver is installed, the device is present, but it doesn't seem to be enabled. When I get to step 4.3 here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ide#connection

I am missing the wireless device.

Help would be appreciated, I realise wireless is an iffy subject on Linux.

Beans

Which wireless card did you get with your 1720? I've had no problems at all with Ubuntu recognizing mine...

Beans

It's a Dell wireless 1510 wireless-n wlan card, which as far as I can tell is the Broadcom 4322 chipset, which is about what Ubuntu told me.

Its not that the drivers aren't loaded, however no Wireless networks show up (I know there are about 4 different ones in my area), and using other wireless programs as well as the command line, no wireless devices show up. I have a switch to turn the card on or off on the side of the laptop, however I am pretty sure it is not off, due to the light on the chasis being on, as well as it working in Windows 7.

Beans

Hello, I just got a Vostro 1720. I am using Ubuntu 9.10. For now every thing is working fine except for the webcam. Neither skype or cheese recognized the webcam. I am a beginner in the linux world. Any help is welcome. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by LordDelta View Post

Not absolutely essential that I have the wireless, I am dual booting with Windows 7 and can virtualize the Ubuntu if I need to, getting wireless that way, however it would be nice to get the wireless working natively.

I've tried the WifiDocs, I have a driver, the driver is installed, the device is present, but it doesn't seem to be enabled. When I get to step 4.3 here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ide#connection

I am missing the wireless device.

Help would be appreciated, I realise wireless is an iffy subject on Linux.
    Have you tried installing wicd?
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wicd
    It replaces the default networking manager.

It has helped me with my desktop which now works flawlessly using the wired connection when it exists, and wireless when there is no wired connection, switching automatically.

Although I have no laptop experience, I think trying out wicd on your laptop might help solve your problem.

HTH.

Beans

Hello,

I have a dell vostro 1720 with windowns vista bussiness and with virtualbox i installed ubuntu 12.10 version. i have problems with graphics and sounds. it works very slow. I'm very new with linux software and i'm asking you what can i do or how can i update the drivers for the graphics.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234