Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How to setup VPN to use the Ipredator.se service

Beans

Re: How to setup VPN to use the Ipredator.se service

I'm having problems connecting using 10.04 Netbook Remix on my Lenovo IdeaPad S10. My Win 7 desktop has no problems, just the netbook. I've tried wifi and ethernet connections with no success.

I've tried all kinds of options in the GUI config, and done every suggestion I could find on Google. I started messing with the command line version but it doesn't seem much different.

Code:
    root@netbook:/var/log#pon ipredator nodetach debug
    using channel 18
    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/1
    send [LCP ConfReq id-0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xfb20b5c8> <pcomp> <accomp>]
    --- above line prints 10 times ---
    LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
    Connection terminated.
    Modem hangup
    Code:
    Contents of /etc/ppp/peers/ipredator:
    pty "pptp vpn.ipredator.se --nolaunchpppd"
    lock
    noauth
    nobsdcomp
    nodeflate
    name myusername
    remotename ipredator
    ipparam ipredator
    require-mppe-128
    Update June 27, 2010:
    I tried installing Ubuntu desktop instead of netbook edition. No difference. Next I bypassed the router and connected the computer directly to the DSL modem... and it worked. The thing is my Windows 7 computers CAN connect without a problem through the router. I know some other people have had problems with certain routers as well. If Windows can do it and Ubuntu can't, I suspect that there is some problem or limitation with Ubuntu preventing this from working.
    Last edited by p3nix; June 28th, 2010 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Update

Beans

Ipredator on Ubuntu has been really flakey for me. Generally, it won't connect.

So far the following appears to have worked:

Code:
    me@my-desktop:~$ nslookup vpn.ipredator.se
    Server:		192.168.1.1
    Address:	192.168.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:	vpn.ipredator.se
    Address: 93.182.149.2
    Address: 93.182.150.2
    Address: 93.182.151.2
    Address: 93.182.152.2
    Address: 93.182.153.2
    Address: 93.182.164.2
    Address: 93.182.179.2
    Address: 93.182.180.2
    Address: 93.182.181.2
    Address: 93.182.185.2
    Address: 93.182.186.2
    Address: 93.182.187.2
    Address: 93.182.188.2
    Address: 93.182.189.2
    Address: 93.182.190.2
    Address: 93.182.130.2
    Address: 93.182.133.2
    Address: 93.182.146.2
    Address: 93.182.147.2
    Address: 93.182.148.2
    I picked the 1st address and used that as the Gateway instead of "vpn.ipredator.se"
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I've got it setup and it connects without a problem. When doing ifconfig in a shell it shows there's two connections - my regular eth0 and a ppp0 with an additional IP-adress.

However, when I surf It doesn't use the VPN-tunnel and instead goes through my regular connection, which is the opposite of what I want.

Why is that?

Update: never mind, I was an idiot and didn't triplecheck stuff before running off to wail on the forums. Sorry!
    Last edited by isecore; August 27th, 2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: whisky in siberia
    Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Would you mind giving me your exact setup? I'm running a fully updated 10.4 Ubuntu Desktop but I despite not saving the password and using the IP instead of DNS name I still get the "VPN connection failed" message.

Quote Originally Posted by isecore View Post
    I've got it setup and it connects without a problem. When doing ifconfig in a shell it shows there's two connections - my regular eth0 and a ppp0 with an additional IP-adress.

However, when I surf It doesn't use the VPN-tunnel and instead goes through my regular connection, which is the opposite of what I want.

Why is that?

Update: never mind, I was an idiot and didn't triplecheck stuff before running off to wail on the forums. Sorry!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I login to name, not IP. Username, password hidden and remembered.

Under the Advanced settings I have "Use Point-to-Point encryption" enabled. This was not enabled by default, but the post here: http://christianengstrom.wordpress.c...tu-linux-9-10/ said that it should be enabled. Other than that no real changes. I basically followed the guide on that page, with some modifications since the software center has changed since 9.10, I simply used aptitude to install packages instead.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by vectorm12 View Post
    Would you mind giving me your exact setup? I'm running a fully updated 10.4 Ubuntu Desktop but I despite not saving the password and using the IP instead of DNS name I still get the "VPN connection failed" message.
    Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw45k View Post
    also if you try to connect but nothing happen you need to reboot

also to get this working on linux dont use on your password characters like ñ ç ș ț ă î â this only work on windows
    Thank you! Spent an age on this with no luck. But when I removed ALL special characters (including punctuation) from my password, it works just fine.

Thus far.

Beans
    Distro

I followed the tutorial and it worked like a charm on my main pc. However it does not work on my two other computers (another desktop and a netbook).
    I've done the exact same procedure on all computers.

(all running 10.10)

Beans

Has anyone already tried IPredator through openvpn ? I have just signed and followed their instructions to import the config file to the network-manager-openvpn plugin. It actually worked without a glitch and so far I'm very satisfied.

The issue is I tried to do the same through command line and it didn't work. They don't have instructions for Ubuntu CLI but they do for Debian, Freebsd and Openbsd. The connection with this config actually is successful but the routing in this case is different from the NM setup.

The culprit seems to be the push commands from the server, there is a route command and a redirect-gateway one which apparently issues a duplicated route command just after. The system complains that the "file exists" and apparently does not finish the push job since I get slight different tables (gateway is still local) and eventually no vpn connection.

I'm surprised that NM works with the same commands and CLI don't , I would think that generally is the other way around.
    Does anyone have a clue, I can post the route messages and tables if needed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345