Thread: can't install on powerbook g4

Beans

can't install on powerbook g4

Ok, I am a noob, and this is my first post. I am trying to install Juanty on a Powerbook g4. When I use the desktop install cd(with any of the defined options) I get this every time:

Loading, Please wait
    /init: /scripts/functions: line 5: syntax error: "fi" unexpected (expecting "then")
    [ 5.940958]kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
    [ 5.941109]Rebooting in 180 sec

so I tryed the alternate install cd. When trying this it makes it to the text installer, detects hardware, scans cd, then when it moves on to "loading aditional components" it fails and I get a screen telling me this:

[!!] Load installer components from cd
    Failed to load installer component
    Loading e2fsprogs-udeb failed for unknown reasons. Aborting.

then tells me a step failed and i can skip it or try running the failing item again. But any button I press sends the computer to a black screen with grey flashing lines?!?

so I check the cd and get this:

[!] Configuring cdrom-checker-menu
    Integrity test failed
    The ./install/powerpc64/vmlinux file failed the MD5 checksum verification. Your CD-ROM or this file may have been corrupted

If I press continue it just reboots.

Now this computer has been having some problems and kernel panics on booting OSX, and now wont even boot Diskwarrior, so I can't get to the desktop or even single user mode. Also, I have downloaded and burnt the disks a couple of times in Brasero and CD/DVD creator from a computer running juanty. So how can I get juanty to install ........... any ideas?

thanks!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: can't install on powerbook g4

make sure to burn the disc as slow as possible to maximize its readability. The issues you are having definitely sound like a corrupted disc.