Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dock

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Dock

HI all,
    I am experimenting with making my desktop look great. I have been trying to use Compiz-fusion using the Dock. I really like the Dock, but I want the background and edges to appear transparent.

Im not sure if it helps but my Graphics card is a ATI Radeon 320 M. This is a HP Pavilion ze4125, Athalon 1600 And I'm running Hardy Heron.

Im not limiting myself to Compiz-fusion, I just want a dock that will allow me to adjust its background transparency. I hope someone knows a solution to this.Much thanks in Advance!

Beans

Re: Dock

Quote Originally Posted by conradin View Post
    HI all,
    I am experimenting with making my desktop look great. I have been trying to use Compiz-fusion using the Dock. I really like the Dock, but I want the background and edges to appear transparent.

Im not sure if it helps but my Graphics card is a ATI Radeon 320 M. This is a HP Pavilion ze4125, Athalon 1600 And I'm running Hardy Heron.

Im not limiting myself to Compiz-fusion, I just want a dock that will allow me to adjust its background transparency. I hope someone knows a solution to this.Much thanks in Advance!
    Compiz Fusion isn't a dock.

What dock are you using?

AWN should allow you to change background transparency.

Beans
    Hidden!

Code:
    sudo apt-get install awn-manager
    Also
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install cairo-dock
    Use whichever you prefer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Argh, I screwed up. I'm using cairo-dock.
    maybe Ill try awn-manager.

When I was in the Cairo-dock control panel I still couldn't figure out how to adjust the transparency.

Beans

download the the mac4lin RC2 theme for awn. this will automatically set the transparency to about 50%

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mgbowe1 View Post
    download the the mac4lin RC2 theme for awn. this will automatically set the transparency to about 50%
    That's not good advice.

AWN is easy to use and customize.

Beans
    Hidden!

Argh, I screwed up. I'm using cairo-dock.
    maybe Ill try awn-manager.

When I was in the Cairo-dock control panel I still couldn't figure out how to adjust the transparency.
    Go here and type in "awn" and search, you will be provided with lots of skins including a transparent one Have fun!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi all,
    I much appreciate all the input. I unistalled Cairo-dock and installed Avant window Navigator. When I goto applications, and open AWN I see a box pop up for a second then close before i can see what it was. No Dock appears. Any ideas?

In the terminal I entered awn-manager, and the windoe editor came up. Ill play with this a bit.
    Last edited by conradin; June 17th, 2009 at 04:31 AM. Reason: update

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi all,
    I much appreciate all the input. I unistalled Cairo-dock and installed Avant window Navigator. When I goto applications, and open AWN I see a box pop up for a second then close before i can see what it was. No Dock appears. Any ideas?
    Maybe you haven't added any shortcuts yet? Try to right click at the bottom of the screen where the window pops up and then see if you can find dock preference.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: Dock

There are three major docks out there: Avant Window Navigator, Cairo Dock, and Gnome Do (when you set the appearance preferences to "Docky").

There are reasons to like all of them. Personally, I prefer Gnome Do because of its search thing (which is actually its main functionality, not the dock), but Avant Window Navigator is pretty featureful also (with applets like those you would find for the Gnome panels).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast