Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound on a Macbook Pro 5,5?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Sound on a Macbook Pro 5,5?

Maybe you've installed a new kernel. Try to recompile the alsa driver again for the new kernel!
    Ubuntu Jaunty on HP-S3580D, MBP 13
    Ubuntu Karmic on Vaio X118

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

What about microphone? I manage to playback sound, but recording sound is a different matter, it seems to only record very faintly, even with volume on 100%.

(I'm on a Macbook Pro 5,3 btw)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Mine is the same. It seems to lack of a mic boost.

Beans

How did u manage to get 5 hours? Did u tweak it? if so what did u do?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You can follow this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1215928,
    or use the laptop-mode-tools.

Beans

After many an hour of struggling, I have restored sound on my Macbook Pro 5,2 running karmic beta running 2.6.31-14-generic on a 64-bit system (which I lost on upgrading from Jaunty to Karmic beta). The following may be helpful.

Code:
    ~# sudo uname -a
    Linux kronos 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:05:01 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    The key thing I did, apart from following a modification of the instructions found at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma.../Karmic/#Sound
    (the part about removing pulseaudio) and http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7979472&postcount=171
    was to modify /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf by commenting out the line with snd-hda-intel and adding a new line with a different options, so

Code:
    ~# tail -2 /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    # options snd-hda-intel power_save=10 power_save_controller=N
    options snd-hda-intel model=mb5
    I experimented with several versions of alsa but 1.0.21 worked, so I ran this scrip (seen in many posts with minor variations, one of the the link above):

Code:
    sudo rm -rf /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/sound
    sudo aptitude reinstall linux-headers-`uname -r` linux-image-`uname -r`
    sudo wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.21.tar.bz2
    tar jxf alsa-driver-1.0.21.tar.bz2
    cd alsa-driver-1.0.21
    sudo ./configure --enable-dynamic-minors --without-oss --with-cards="hda-intel"
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    After this, I reloaded alsa using

Code:
    alsa force-reload
    unmuted all channels using gnome-alsa-mixer after which I logged out, logged in. At this point, I had sound, although not using applications that typically rely on pulseaudio.

Next, I re-installed pulseaudio and, after some experimenting, discovered that in Sound Preferences, I needed to choose under Hardware the profile "Analog Stereo Duplex" to both hear sound. But now it works!

Beans

Hey, this worked, great, thanks.

About battery life: i applied some of the scripts and activated laptop-mode-tools so now i get 3hrs max.

Another problem: I cant dim the screen brightness anymore, I guess I need nvidia 190 for that. Anybody got it working?

Quote Originally Posted by mjantti View Post
    After many an hour of struggling, I have restored sound on my Macbook Pro 5,2 running karmic beta running 2.6.31-14-generic on a 64-bit system (which I lost on upgrading from Jaunty to Karmic beta). The following may be helpful.

Code:
    ~# sudo uname -a
    Linux kronos 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:05:01 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    The key thing I did, apart from following a modification of the instructions found at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma.../Karmic/#Sound
    (the part about removing pulseaudio) and http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7979472&postcount=171
    was to modify /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf by commenting out the line with snd-hda-intel and adding a new line with a different options, so

Code:
    ~# tail -2 /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    # options snd-hda-intel power_save=10 power_save_controller=N
    options snd-hda-intel model=mb5
    I experimented with several versions of alsa but 1.0.21 worked, so I ran this scrip (seen in many posts with minor variations, one of the the link above):

Code:
    sudo rm -rf /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/sound
    sudo aptitude reinstall linux-headers-`uname -r` linux-image-`uname -r`
    sudo wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.21.tar.bz2
    tar jxf alsa-driver-1.0.21.tar.bz2
    cd alsa-driver-1.0.21
    sudo ./configure --enable-dynamic-minors --without-oss --with-cards="hda-intel"
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    After this, I reloaded alsa using

Code:
    alsa force-reload
    unmuted all channels using gnome-alsa-mixer after which I logged out, logged in. At this point, I had sound, although not using applications that typically rely on pulseaudio.

Next, I re-installed pulseaudio and, after some experimenting, discovered that in Sound Preferences, I needed to choose under Hardware the profile "Analog Stereo Duplex" to both hear sound. But now it works!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

compiling works but only until the kernel is upgraded.

i'm also concerned that compiling might get in the way of the official ubuntu/alsa fix at some later stage or is this not possible?

is there somewhere we can vote on this at launchpad? has anyone reported it there yet?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by justinlawrence View Post

is there somewhere we can vote on this at launchpad? has anyone reported it there yet?
    It has already been committed. With 2.6.32 sound works fine out of the box on my MBP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

Quote Originally Posted by justinlawrence View Post
    compiling works but only until the kernel is upgraded.
    This happened to me today as I inadvertently upgraded to 2.6.31 kernel and now there is no sound again.

Would anyone be able to indicate whether it is possible, and how to compile 2.6.32 kernel in Karmic?

Also I tried to repeat the process indicated in this thread (i.e. restore kernel files 2.6.18 ) but for some reason the packages for this kernel could not be found by aptitude. I don't understand this as it worked just yesterday. Is it a matter of getting these packages from the jaunty repos? If so, which ones?
    Last edited by faust99; November 12th, 2009 at 02:48 AM.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast