Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Sound on a Macbook Pro 5,5?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Sound on a Macbook Pro 5,5?

Just repeat the step in http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=98

Post 98. It will work.

Shiva

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by shivathreya View Post

Post 98. It will work.

Shiva
    Yeah unfortunately it did not work....

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Sound on a Macbook Pro 5,5?

hey everybody,

me again.

so like probably all of you, I'm rather annoyed by the synaptics-drivers... i'm not blaming the developers here, it's just a 10 year old piece of software and maybe it's time for a new one.

that's the thing i really miss most from OS X .. it works okay in linux, and actually i'm almost done writing a patch to support 4-finger-click and tap.. (it's finished - only thing remaining is the question what it should actually do.)

anyways: i would like to start a new multitouch-driver. from scratch. i'm looking for ambitious developers, that have C experience.

please contact me..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bobbytables View Post
    that's the thing i really miss most from OS X .. it works okay in linux, and actually i'm almost done writing a patch to support 4-finger-click and tap.. (it's finished - only thing remaining is the question what it should actually do.)
    What do you mean what actually do? Release it I am looking forward to trying that.
    I have no experience with C (only python) so no help on that. You may want to get in touch with this guy though: http://touchd.sourceforge.net/

Beans

I have a Macbook Pro 5.5, and my sound had been working just fine, until a routine "update" a few days ago. Now no sound.

Bootup Manager shows both Alsasound and Pulseaudio services are installed, but only Pulseaudio is enabled/running. Is that correct? If not, how do I remove or disable the one that shouldn't be there?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shivathreya View Post

Post 98. It will work.

Shiva
    Thanks, that worked for me.

Beans

This works great. The only downside is that you have to rerun this script every time your kernel updates. I put these steps in a script, accessible from my path to make things a bit easier.

Any idea how we can tell if or when the start sound package supports this feature, so we can stop recompiling our own sound module? How would we revert to the default package?

Quote Originally Posted by barryreid View Post
    Ok here is a step by step guide on how to get it all working.

First thing you need to do is remove anything in your sound folder so we have a clean start, do this by running:

Code:
    sudo rm -rf /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/sound
    Next thing you need to do is restor your original kernel files, to do this run the following command:

Code:
    sudo aptitude reinstall linux-headers-2.6.28-13-generic linux-image-2.6.28-13-generic linux-restricted-modules-2.6.28-13-generic
    After that you will be prompted to restart, Restart Now.

Once back in ubuntu run the folowing commands:

Code:
    wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot.tar.gz
    tar xf alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot.tar.gz
    cd alsa-driver-unstable
    sudo ./configure --enable-dynamic-minors  --without-oss --with-cards="hda-intel"
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    Now reboot. Once your system is back up open up your volume control and unmute all the channels and make sure they are turned up.

Beans

It was included in (stable) kernel 2.6.32, released Thu, 3 Dec 2009.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dennis123123 View Post
    That's good news, but I guess I'll still have to wait for another update, since I'm currently running 2.6.31 and neither the stable nor unstable alsa drivers are working for me. Alsamixer reports "function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory". Is there any way to fix that?

How do I remove my custom compiled alsa driver once I start using 2.6.32?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dennis123123 View Post
    It seems this is not the case, or what they included still does not work for the Macbook hardware. I installed kernel 2.6.32 following http://www.ramoonus.nl/2009/12/03/li...-ubuntu-linux/ and I still have no sound.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast