Thread: RQ: Astrology software

Beans
    Hidden!

Exclamation RQ: Astrology software

I am searching for a software tool, that can plot astrological charts, find out the planetary aspects, calculate their value based on a defined orb, as well as providing textual description of each celestial configuration. The input must include the exact location coordinates, not only the birth time.
    Thanks in advance! I hope that you can tell me about such a tool. Maybe it exists for Windows only. If this is the case, I can run it from my Vista installation. It is not a problem.

See ya!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: RQ: Astrology software

Good luck with finding some software to suit your needs, but this is the forum for Science not pseudoscience/antiscience !

There's some great Astronomy software available for Ubuntu - my favourite is Stellarium.

Beans
    Hidden!

Okay. I consider astrology science.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

While I do not personally consider astrology a "science", it is certainly something that many people are interested in. More to the point, Astrology can certainly serve an important educational function. I have always found it fascinating how even primitive cultures were able to plot the positions of the stars and planets with incredible accuracy, even though the knew nothing about celestial mechanics. You could make a fairly reasonable argument that astrology promoted early mathematical development. After-all, there were few areas of study that required complex math outside of astrology for large portions of our existence on this planet.

As is often the case, Google is your friend. I found this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Astrology

It looks like there are a number of interesting choices. Some are native to Linux, others run just fine via wine.
    Please Insert Funny Statement Here.

Beans

Zdravko, you are not alone.

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind0...7s2.htm#c7s2l3
    Belief in pseudoscience is widespread. For example, at least a quarter of the U.S. population believes in astrology, i.e., that the position of the stars and planets can affect people's lives. Although two-thirds (66%) of those queried in 2004 said that astrology is "not at all scientific," about one-third considered it at least "sort of scientific" (appendix table 7-14 ).[30]

Belief in astrology may be more prevalent in Europe. In 2001, 53% of Europeans surveyed thought astrology is "rather scientific" and only a minority (39%) said it is not at all scientific. In the 2005 survey, Europeans were asked whether or not they considered certain subjects to be scientific, using a 5-point scale (with higher values indicating that a subject is more scientific). About 4 out of 10 (41%) of those surveyed gave responses of 4 or 5 for astrology, the same as the score for economics. However, when the survey used the word "horoscopes" instead of astrology, only 13% gave a response of 4 or 5. Disciplines most likely to be considered scientific by Europeans were medicine (89%), physics (83%), biology (75%), mathematics (72%), astronomy (70%), and psychology (53%). History (34%) and homeopathy (33%) were at the bottom of the list (European Commission 2005a). Comparable U.S. data on the various disciplines do not exist.
    You are, of course, free to take interest in astrology. However, I think you will find most in this forum don't consider it scientific.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by gunksta View Post

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Astrology

It looks like there are a number of interesting choices. Some are native to Linux, others run just fine via wine.
    That openastro.org looks quite good. I know someone who is interested in astrology who will likely be keen on it, so I'll see if she wants it installed on her machine. Thanks!
    Last edited by James7; June 23rd, 2009 at 07:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

To rebuke the brainwashed sheep, since the Roman Empire destroyed the Library of Alexandria in 48BCE there's no telling for certain the actual degree of awareness the Ancient Egyptians had pertaining the mechanics of the Solar System. Recall that the Roman Catholic Church called Galileo a heretic and even had acquired the power to place him under arrest when he proclaimed that the planets were scientifically provable to be round spheres and that the truth was the solar system is in fact heliocentric. The only thing that suggests such ancient cultures primitive is a single empire that has been spreading over the earth for over 2000 years and collects money to Caesar unto this day. And this is aside the fact that the word pseudo means false - such a viewpoint is ill-founded and lends to Jesuistic hate - consider Hitler, like the Romans, followed a make-believe deity and destroyed knowledge to further empires that lent themselves to eradication and it didn't take long before WE - HAPPY AMERICH - Bombed the hell into such. The world is educated enough these days to never allow such crimes again - now it's time to discondition the brainwashed fearful Christians that rely upon a dumb and uneducated deity that shall no more return than he could transcend through the atmosphere.

Cheers, and good luck finding your program on spiritual science friend!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@Ihswh -- This thread has been dormant since 2009. It was an interesting discussion but your childish comments fail to add anything useful or germane to the discussion. This is the Science/Education sub-forum. I agree, astrology is not a science. But learning about it certainly falls under a broad understanding of education.

On a more personal note - I happen to enjoy this forum. If you don't have anything even remotely constructive to say, go away. There are plenty of other places on the Internet where you can be negative. If you would like to participate appropriately, read the Code of Conduct.
    Please Insert Funny Statement Here.