Thread: Why is Kde on kubuntu so buggy?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Why is Kde on kubuntu so buggy?

Why is that really?!

I have found some very annoying bugs
    For konqueror crashes frequently and yakuake crashes
    when i try to change it's height on screen.

One other time konqueror loaded the pages but he woudn't
    let me scroll!

What the heck is happening?
    If i could change something in the world..
    i would turn the sea blue again and feed the poor..

Beans

Re: Why is Kde on kubuntu so buggy?

KDE 4.2.x is buggy in general and the problem is compounded in Kubuntu as the focus of Ubuntu developers seems to be on superficial things (example: new desktop notifications) rather than quality / stability of the core components. Personally I'm waiting until KDE 4.3 before I venture back into the KDE waters after a several year hiatus.
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ on ASUS A8N SLI SE
    4096 MB DDR 400MHz RAM
    GeForce 9400 GT w 512 MB DDR2 & Compiz-fusion
    Kubuntu 9.10 x86-64 with Kernel 2.6.31

Beans
    Hidden!

Even I had a lot of problems with kde4.2.x in kubuntu so switched back to gnome! Imho, mandriva 2009.1 spring is the best distro if u want to use kde4

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I have just experienced a problem where the drag and drop functionality to move files using a split-screen dolphin window does not work any more. This seems to be a new bug (regression?) that was not there a few days ago. I certainly hope that KDE 4.2.2 stability improves in Kubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cmost View Post
    KDE 4.2.x is buggy in general and the problem is compounded in Kubuntu as the focus of Ubuntu developers seems to be on superficial things (example: new desktop notifications) rather than quality / stability of the core components.
    KDE has its own notification system which is quite a bit more advanced than ubuntu's.

Kubuntu seems stable to me - I haven't been able to reproduce any of the bugs you guys describe. Can you provide links to the bug reports?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by arkara View Post
    Why is that really?!

I have found some very annoying bugs
    For konqueror crashes frequently and yakuake crashes
    when i try to change it's height on screen.

One other time konqueror loaded the pages but he woudn't
    let me scroll!

What the heck is happening?
    With all due respect, KDE 4.x is a Work In Progress, the glitches are being ironed out as it is being developed.

If you require a solid, stable release, why not install Hardy (8.04), it still uses the KDE 3.5 desktop which is a polished desktop - in my opinion.
    "To give perfect expression to the One, the Infinite, through the harmony of the many; to the One, the Love, through the sacrifice of self, is the object alike of our individual life and our society."
    Rabindranath Tagore

Beans

I guess there are two questions - is it "Why is KDE4 so buggy" or "Why is KDE4 on Kubuntu more buggy than on other distros?"

"Work in progress" sounds about right to me. It's interesting, some bugs are more reproducible than others. For example, the split-screen-file-move thing in Dolphin works fine for me, but I can reproduce the "Yakuake resize crash" regularly. Generally Konqueror is very stable for me, but I have other minor crash bugs.

It's interesting, as a kind of self reflection, that apparently for me none of the bugs are that big a deal because I still use it constantly and don't feel particularly annoyed or frustrated, despite little plasmoids crashing and dying constantly. maybe the pretty blue wallpaper just has me soooo calm ....

If you haven't already, report the bugs ... they do get attention that way from the developers. Personally my (totally uneducated) guess is that there are many crash bugs which are related to some underlying Plasma issue, and as Plasma as a whole matures a lot of those will go away.

The bug reporting process can seem kind of complex but it's a really valuable resource not only for requesting fixes, but for understanding why a bug exists and what's involved in fixing it. For example, I got interested in the Yakuake thing just now. It's a bug that's already been reported at bugs.kde.org, and it was already fixed over a month ago. (today is June 17, for reference). The fixed version is 2.9.5. The version in the Ubuntu repository is still 2.9.4, so when the Ubuntu package is updated we'll get that bug fix. Fascinating, no?
    Last edited by skullmunky; June 17th, 2009 at 06:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I agree, KDE 4.2 is very buggy. Because of that, I upgraded to KDE 4.3 beta and it's a LOT better. Its stability has dramatically improved, and it runs incredibly fast (KDE 4.2 was a lot slower than GNOME on my computer, even with compiz). kubuntu.com has the instructions on how to upgrade.

I guess KDE4 did have a slow start. I've tried it since the 4.0 release, and I wasn't confident enough to leave GNOME until 4.2. Now, I've left GNOME altogether. I can't help but be very excited for the coming releases. It's really getting there.

Hope this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by skullmunky View Post
    For example, the split-screen-file-move thing in Dolphin works fine for me,
    I must report that the above bug went away after a reboot and was not reproducible for me either! And I am not complaining about that