Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Nvidia card low screen resolution and can't install driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: New Nvidia card low screen resolution and can't install driver

Just had success with EnvyNG...thanks....I had a look in Hardware Drivers and still no listing, infact there is nothing listed at all. Is this normal? and does this mean I won't be able to disable Nvidia if I want/need to?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Actually, yes, this is a bit unusual. How long has it been since you applied updates to your system? I believe you will still be able to disable Nvidia if you ever have to, just not by using a GUI.
    Gateway MT6460 Laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Updates are current, maybe the card I have is too new, (Nvidia 9400GT) though it is listed as being one that is recognized by Linux.

However when I opened EnvyNG I was ubable to install using (Automatic Hardware Detection) as I was told that the card wasn't recognized so I installed using (Manual Detection of the Driver) and the closest choice of three was version 173.14.12 and mine card is 185.18.14
    so far all seems good, hope I didn't do the wrong thing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It's definitely not a problem of recent technology, because people have gotten GTX cards to work. The 173 diver version is very old, it will work, but not to your card's full extent. I don't know what's going on, but a full system reinstall should do the trick because it will install the latest drivers for the new mobo that you put in. However, it's up to you.
    Gateway MT6460 Laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have Hardy Heron on two seperate partitions, one of which was a new install after the new motherboard and new video card was fitted and still only the 173 driver was recognized.
    I had downloaded the 185 driver from Nvidia but was unable to install it as part way through I was told I had it exit xserver which I did and tried to install again however this time was told that the driver couldn't be found. I might try again with exiting xserver, I guess it'll be OK if it works and 185 is installed over 173?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Nope, you would have to remove the 173 version if you plan on installing 185. My personal experience with manually installing the driver's hasn't been too good. Manually installing the nvidia drivers replaces some of the OpenGL libs that come with Ubuntu, and it causes problems while gaming. If you don't game much, I'd say you should be fine.
    Gateway MT6460 Laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm starting to think it is an age thing and 185 isn't suited to Hardy Heron..maybe I'll try Jaunty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12