Machine Model: Powerbook4,3
    CPU type: PowerPC 750 (2.3)
    Number of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 800 MHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512kb
    Memory: 640 MB
    Bus Speed: 100 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.6.4f1

Unfortunately, the internal CD drive is broken, so I'm using an external Sony CD drive, which is compatible with DVD, CD, CDR, CDRW. I dowloaded the Ubuntu 9.04 PPC .iso and correctly wrote it to a CDR. I've put the CDR into the external cd drive and gotten to the menu where you choose boot location by holding the options key. The CD displays itself, but, when I click on it, the icon dissapears and then reappears, refusing to boot. I've spent a ton of time on the internet today trying to figure out how to do it, but I really can't. I'm actually more interested in installing it than I am just booting on it from a CD, if that helps.

Anyway, could it be that I'm using an external CD drive? My system seems to be all right otherwise. Do I need to use an older distro? Is there a way to just install it without needing to live boot? Is it possible to install this via a usb flash drive? Do I need to use (X)Ubuntu?

I'd be thankful for any sort of help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ibook G3 installation issues

Quote Originally Posted by haertel View Post
    Unfortunately, the internal CD drive is broken, so I'm using an external Sony CD drive, which is compatible with DVD, CD, CDR, CDRW.
    Is it a firewire device? I don't think your machine can boot from an external USB drive.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: ibook G3 installation issues

Yup, cyberdork33 is correct. That iBook only supports external FireWire devices for booting purposes.
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █