Thread: Hulu

Hulu

There is no cable in my house, only Internet. I think it would be cool to be able to hook up a computer to my TV (it has a VGA in) and play Hulu videos. The problem is, I don't have a very fast computer. What is the absolute lightest system I could get/create (I am a beginner as far as linux goes) that only needs to run Hulu videos (so Flash is required)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Hulu

How much ram does your computer have?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i would say a Processor of about 1.6 GHz and 1GB of RAM... 512MB would be enough, but the more RAM the better
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

I mean an OPERATING system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Last year I had a desktop running Fedora Core 6 with 128 MB of ram and watching movies on firefox 2 worked okay as long as it was the only thing open. Gentoo is supposed to be pretty minimalistic (and probably requires more linux experience), but I don't have any experience with Gentoo to back that statement up.

Sorry if I can't be more help.
    Anyone else have any ideas?

Beans

Hulu is played via flash in a browser so any os that can use the latest adobe flash in its browser [Firefox] should be ok. I would start with puppy linux.

I tried puppy in virtualbox with a amd athlon running at 2.6 ghz an 512mb of ram (minus some because the OS copied into ram) and i installed flash 7 and the video worke but it was VERY choppy

any other ideas? thanks for the help so far and yes gentoo is beyond me

Beans

I've tried puppy on an eepc (667Mhz, 512MB) and I can play flash acceptably, although not totally smooth. The operating system itself shouldn't be the issue. Try the latest flash player, using a live cd or usb stick. You should be ok.