Thread: Desktop does not fill screens

Beans

Desktop does not fill screens

I have dual monitors setup and everything works well except the desktop does not fill both screens. My right hand screen has about 40% which ends up being a little odd. its hard to describe but in this area there is no background and it will cache whatever was in that area. Here is a screenshot that I hope explains it better (also at http://rustyfenders.com/Screenshot.png)

I should also mention, when apps are open in this area they display fine, its just the desktop caches the images. I am using the video card: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)

Any help would be appreciated
    -Casey

Beans

Re: Desktop does not fill screens

This is not too much of a problem but would like any help. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I know this sounds stupid but have you tried changing your background to one that fits the entire width of both screens resolution by downloading a new one or using the stretch setting? Or have you already tried this and it's just not filling that space?

Still not sure why it is caching what was their previously but I'm curious as to what would happen if you get your wallpaper to stretch into that area.

Beans

Thanks for replying! Yes, I have tried tiled, zoom, and fill as well as using a solid background. Its odd for sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Not sure if it matters but are you using DVI or VGA on your second monitor? If your using VGA, try switching to DVI.

Also, are you using twin-view or a separate x-screen? Maybe that's just a NVidia thing, I'm not sure.

Sorry, this probably is not much help.

Beans

Hmm, weird. Can you increase the video memory available to the Intel GMA in the BIOS? This is the first I've seen of a problem like this. Let us know if you figure out what it is. Cheers!

Beans

I have the same problem.

I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad X200 tablet and a Samsung SyncMaster 770 TFT monitor. I switch frequently between using dual monitors and using the laptop alone. Sometimes this problem appears and other times it doesn't. I've noticed that sometimes when I change my monitor settings to dual, gnome makes me log out and log in -- when that happens, my desktop image fills both screens. Other times it doesn't make me log out and in -- that's when I get a problem which is identical to lukeiamyourfather's screenshot.