Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How many are solely Linux Gamers?

Beans

Re: How many are solely Linux Gamers?

Virtualbox for starcraft and native for quakeworld... takes up way much time :/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Amilo1718 View Post
    savage 2 says ".com" & can be played through different OS'es ...
    so that's what you call a native linux game?

imo: native means 'from that ground'
    &
    linux means 'freeware/open source'

so... if savage was (in the past) open source/freeware and now decided to go commercial & restricted it's not native anymore...

to deny your roots... awful & disgusting (imho)
    Native means that it runs without a compatibility layer (like Wine). It does not matter if it is cross-platform or commercial. Are you saying companies can't make commercial Linux games (or applications)? You are wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by SerenityKill3r View Post
    Hey Guys,

After dabbling around with Ubuntu since 4.10 (IIRC), I've decided to leave Windows for good, since I discovered a sweet little app called MonoDevelop (I study software development, and need a C# IDE).

I'm also an avid gamer, and I have no problem giving up the games I love to get a better desktop experience. I have no plans on messing around with wine, but I wan't to just play native games, the way they should be played. I already have Quake Wars running as good as it did in Windows, and I will install Doom 3 soon. I also plan on picking up Quake IV and Penumbra (yes, I know there was a Steam sale on ).

My question is, how many of you guys just play native games on Linux?

Thanks,

~Serenity
    I've purchased nearly every native commercial game for linux that I and my family wants. Games like Quake 4 (own several copies), Neverwinter Nights 1 (one copy and more ordered) and Ut2004 (several copies owned) to name a few. We're hard core Linux games (both me and my family).

We also run several games under Wine. Wine has enabled us to eliminate windows. Even my wife is running Ubuntu on her computer now. She's in dual boot because a couple of apps just won't work in Wine properly (she runs a home business). She spends most of her time however in Linux which is way cool

More and more people are realizing a world without Windows. It's coming little by little every day.

Beans

There is nothing wrong with keeping a Windows partition handy.

I recently reinstalled XP just so I can play Mass Effect and an online FPS called Combat Arms.

I also game in Linux but I love these two games too much ^.

Linux has been my main OS for a few years now, but Windows still fills a niche Linux can't at the moment for the latest games and Windows-only software.

It's nothing to feel sorry about.

I personally can't stand Windows, but as long as software makers are being coerced...
    Last edited by Chemical Imbalance; June 15th, 2009 at 04:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by linuxguymarshall View Post
    I stick around with Wine for Half-Life 1 and occasional Hitman. But I am working on a project to make the Cube Engine run with the Half-Life files. So unofficial native binaries.
    Why not use Quake 1 since that's what the Half-Life ("GoldSrc") engine is based on? I think it would be easier. DarkPlaces, an enhanced Quake engine, already supports Half-Life BSPs.

Not that I've got anything against the Cube engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by u235sentinel View Post
    I've purchased nearly every native commercial game for linux that I and my family wants. Games like Quake 4 (own several copies), Neverwinter Nights 1 (one copy and more ordered) and Ut2004 (several copies owned) to name a few. We're hard core Linux games (both me and my family).

We also run several games under Wine. Wine has enabled us to eliminate windows. Even my wife is running Ubuntu on her computer now. She's in dual boot because a couple of apps just won't work in Wine properly (she runs a home business). She spends most of her time however in Linux which is way cool

More and more people are realizing a world without Windows. It's coming little by little every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by SerenityKill3r View Post
    According to Dictionary.com:
    a. designed for use with a specific type of computer: writing native applications for 32-bit PCs.
    b. internal to a specific application program: to view the file in its native format.
    And I'm not an a**
    Quote Originally Posted by Amilo1718 View Post
    savage 2 says ".com" & can be played through different OS'es ...
    so that's what you call a native linux game?

imo: native means 'from that ground'
    &
    linux means 'freeware/open source'

so... if savage was (in the past) open source/freeware and now decided to go commercial & restricted it's not native anymore...

to deny your roots... awful & disgusting (imho)
    Amilo1718 is entitled to his or her opinion. Let's keep this thread on topic. If you wish to debate "opensource" or FOSS politics please either mover it to recurring discussions or use personal blogs.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm slowly becomming one.

When Quake Live! is out for linux I will have no use for wine and dualboot.

Beans

Currently the only two games I have installed through wine are starcraft and guildwars. Guildwars I haven't played in months and the only reason I play starcraft is because I get together with a group of friends often to play it. Course that same group of friends is just as likely to play battle for wesnoth and scorched3d (which are both native) as they are to play starcraft so I don't use wine very much these days.
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Amilo1718 is entitled to his or her opinion. Let's keep this thread on topic. If you wish to debate "opensource" or FOSS politics please either mover it to recurring discussions or use personal blogs.
    My apologies. I thought I was on topic and not trashing someone for their opinions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by u235sentinel View Post
    My apologies. I thought I was on topic and not trashing someone for their opinions.
    Thank you for that.

So far IMO this thread has been civil enough, otherwise I would have closed it.

Just nudging the conversation back on topic.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast