Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Problem with wine

i had wine yesterday working ok but i wanted to remove windows so i just formated my harddrive and reinstalled ubuntu by its self i have installed wine and i just installed a program but when i goto the menu its not there i have searched google for answers but there not answers to my question or complety the wrong answers i tried a few of the answered posted by other people that i found on google but its still not working or not what i want i'd appreciate it if anyone can help thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Problem with wine

i hate to be a pain in the **** and double posting as i have looked on other sites and i havnt found nothing to solve the problem i have reinstalled wine and it still doesnt show the menu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You need to configure wine (the first time, only) before installing any programs. When you first open the configuration manager, wine creates the folder, etc. required for it to work correctly. Even after it's set up, sometimes you need to log out and back in after installing a program or game, for that thing to show up on your wine menu. Did you check your menu under the "Other" heading. That's where wine lists its programs on my Ubuntu.
    i5 2500k | Gigabyte Z68 UD3p | Corsair 1600LP 8gb | MSI HD6870 TwinFrozer | Samsung 830 SSD/WD Black | Seasonic 520w modular
    http://spankmon.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks for the reply i logged out and logged back in and its still isnt there and there is nothing inside other

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you haven't configured wine after installing, then open a terminal and enter winecfg and that should open the wine settings mgr. Then click on apply and close (without changing any configuration settings). Then log out and back in. That should set up your hidden .wine folder. You can check it is there by opening the file mgr (Nautilus) and in the Nautilus "View" menu select "Show Hidden Files". Then in your personal home directory look for the .wine folder. If it's there, then you can open it up and look under "Drive C" and see if the program you installed has a folder inside the "Program Files" directory. If that program is there, you can double click on the program .exe file start the program. But before double clicking the .exe file, right-click on it and select the Properties option, then select the option to "Open with Wine Program Loader" so wine will open .exe files rather than the Archive Mgr trying to open them.
    i5 2500k | Gigabyte Z68 UD3p | Corsair 1600LP 8gb | MSI HD6870 TwinFrozer | Samsung 830 SSD/WD Black | Seasonic 520w modular

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Its creates the wine folder but not the menu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The Drive C folder and DOS Devices folder were also created?? Inside the drive_c folder is the Program Files folder. If the new app you installed is not inside the Program Files folder, then you should install that app again, then make sure it has a folder inside Program Files. If installing the app does create its folder inside Program Files, then the app should show up on the wine menu. May need a reboot or logout first.

EDIT: You also may need to open the winecfg again and select the audio driver, apply and save. The other options worked fine at default settings for me. But you might take a look at them.
    Last edited by 4Orbs; June 16th, 2009 at 03:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yes the c folder and dos folder are there but when i select the audio tab i get this in terminal

Code:
    err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winearts.drv": libartsc.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    fixme:jack:JACK_drvLoad error loading the jack library libjack.so, please install this library to use jack
    Last edited by Hoodline; June 16th, 2009 at 03:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodline View Post
    Yes the c folder and dos folder are there but when i select the audio tab i get this in terminal

Code:
    err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"winearts.drv": libartsc.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    fixme:jack:JACK_drvLoad error loading the jack library libjack.so, please install this library to use jack
    why the hell is it trying to load the Jack driver?

did you set it to use the Jack driver in the Wine Config Audio tab?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

No all i did is clicked the audio tab and i got that message

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast