Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Map Windows Shares Permanently with GVFS

Beans

Re: Map Windows Shares Permanently with GVFS

Thank you NTolerance
    I was mounting my NAS (Qnap) using a bookmark but this way is much more reliable.

I followed your instructions and created file mount_neptune.sh in my user directory.
    Code:
    gvfs-mount smb://neptune/public
    ln -s /home/brian/.gvfs/"public on neptune" /home/brian/neptune
    My problem of being able to save files from firefox and other apps into my nas, this was solved by michaelzap's suggestion of using "ln" on the second line.

I would suggest adding this to the bottom of your very excellent tutorial.

Thank you both again.
    Last edited by brianuk; August 6th, 2010 at 02:10 PM.

Beans

Question for the security folks:

Doesn't automounting a network filesystem like gvfs leave one open to a very close copy of the Windows DLL hijacking family of exploits? For example, if someone can create a malicious library and/or other binary using the $LD_LIBRARY_PATH or $LD_PRELOAD family of exploits, and put it in a shared directory, wouldn't everyone who automounted it be a sitting duck for a remote exploit, "drive by" style?

Reference: http://securityetalii.es/2010/08/31/...-windows-like/ (and a few years of similar discussions elsewhere on the Internet)

Beans

I can't get the script because I can't log in to Ubuntu One because it sent me an invalid confirmation code. So I tried to get a new confirmation code sent and it seems not possible. I could have it sent to a different email account but I suspect the system is messed up right now and I don't want to try to get another invalid code sent to a different email. I only have so many emails. Could someone kindly pm it to me? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Boondoklife View Post
    Hey just wanted to post up a script I put together that mounts your drives on login and it runs in the background to ensure the connection stays active.

LINK

I run into times where transferring many files can cause a connection drop and then I am hosed till it gets remounted. This takes care of that issue.

NOTE: Please make sure you are running this as a startup application. If you are having issues please change the DEBUG=0 line to DEBUG=1 and post the output of the log file from "/tmp/gnome-samba-mount-startup.log"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

MyBlog
    Sledgehammer engineering, if it doesn't work, hit it damn hard.

Beans

Boondoklife, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Boondoklife View Post

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the great tutorial, NTolerance and other contributors.
    I would like to replicate this for multiple users on a single computer. We join Ubuntu machines to an AD domain with Likewise-Open (Maverick Netbooks). They are used in a classroom, so many kids use the same computer. Each one needs to get to their own windows share on the server.

I'm thinking of this but I don't know how to put in the wildcard for the name of the user.

Code:
    gvfs-mount smb://<servername>/<folder>/<%username> /home/DOMAIN/<%username>Windows-Share
    How would I get this to replicate for each possible user? On Windows machines it just uses a login script on the domain controller to map this drive. I think it is possible to use "connect to server" in nautilus but these are 7th graders. Not exactly practical to teach them to do this on each machine they end up using.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi guys,

I'm giving this a try. Works like a charm when I manually run the script after login. The issue I have at the moment is that the script is run before the wifi link is up and running.

Is there any easy way to have the script run automatically AFTER the network is up and running?
    The only person who got all his work done by Friday, was Robinson Crusoe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymus View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm giving this a try. Works like a charm when I manually run the script after login. The issue I have at the moment is that the script is run before the wifi link is up and running.

Is there any easy way to have the script run automatically AFTER the network is up and running?
    I actually started futzing with that the first time that I set this up on my laptop, but then I realized that I often take my laptop to other locations where these shares can't be mounted anyway. So in the end I decided to just mount them manually and I put a shortcut in my main menu. If you're sure that you want it to mount them automatically anyway, the best method that I found was just adding a 30-second pause to the script command.
    ~~~
    I liked this old blog post by Aysiu: The Linux community's mixed messages

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What's the best way to add a 30 second pause to your script?
    I'm fairly new to scripting but am happy to learn. I've done a couple bash scripts for server backups.

Thanks
    Paul

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pwebster25 View Post
    What's the best way to add a 30 second pause to your script?
    I'm fairly new to scripting but am happy to learn. I've done a couple bash scripts for server backups.

Thanks
    Paul
    I'm no bash expert, but I think that you just do
    sleep 30 && gvfs-mount...
    ~~~
    I liked this old blog post by Aysiu: The Linux community's mixed messages

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast