Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Map Windows Shares Permanently with GVFS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Map Windows Shares Permanently with GVFS

Quote Originally Posted by NTolerance View Post
    Which topic title, keywords, tags, etc... do I need to get some interest in my awesome thread?
    I signed up for an account on these forums for two reasons... one, because I find myself coming back to this site as a source of problem-solving (I'm pretty new to Linux, being a crusty, old MS proponent)... and two, to say thank you for this thread. It has definitely helped me get through mimicking "Map Network Drive" from Windows.

Thanks a bunch.

=D>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This is great, except for one thing. The network share always seems to time out or just go offline for whatever reason. I keep all my media on a network drive and symbolically linked in order to access it. If the share goes down without my knowing, there goes the music playing. Is there some way to keep it from timing out or to restore itself if I come back from suspension?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by justinmiller87 View Post
    This is great, except for one thing. The network share always seems to time out or just go offline for whatever reason. I keep all my media on a network drive and symbolically linked in order to access it. If the share goes down without my knowing, there goes the music playing. Is there some way to keep it from timing out or to restore itself if I come back from suspension?
    Go back to post #77, I put a script up that does just that. Not sure why they dont update the main page with it though.
    MyBlog
    Sledgehammer engineering, if it doesn't work, hit it damn hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Boondoklife View Post
    Go back to post #77, I put a script up that does just that. Not sure why they dont update the main page with it though.
    Awesome. Hopefully that fixes the issue for me.

Beans
    Distro

Yea the script just polls to make sure your drives are still mapped, if they disconnect, then it remaps them back. I use it myself for a number of things, including my music collection.

In the media case, you may experience a connection drop and the audio/video will stop. However it will remap and then you can just click play again.
    MyBlog

Beans

Hi,

NTolerance thanks for the How-to, it seems simple and easy to follow...but I cant get it to work. Followed everything correctly but when I log in mount doesn't occur. I was wondering if my connection being wireless affects anything. When I log in, my network manager takes a couple of seconds to connect to my wireless router, maybe the script runs while its not connected....please help. I get no errors, where can I find a log with the information. Thank you.

Boondoklife, thank you too for your postings, regarding your script, do I just follow the original post procedure and use your script instead?
    Thanks for the help, these are the first scripts I use so not sure what to do.

CG

Beans
    Distro

Yea just save it as a script and put a link in the startup application to kick it off once you log in.
    MyBlog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for this very useful script Boondoklife. It works fine for me except it will only mount the first share in my list.

SHARES[0]="server/share1"
    SHARES[1]="server/share2"

...only share1 gets mounted. I've tried reversing the order - then only share2 gets mounted. I've copied the syntax exactly as written but only having a tiny amount of scripting ability I haven't been able to debug it. Any thoughts?

Thanks again and best regards.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by EdSp View Post
    Thanks for this very useful script Boondoklife. It works fine for me except it will only mount the first share in my list.

SHARES[0]="server/share1"
    SHARES[1]="server/share2"

...only share1 gets mounted. I've tried reversing the order - then only share2 gets mounted. I've copied the syntax exactly as written but only having a tiny amount of scripting ability I haven't been able to debug it. Any thoughts?

Thanks again and best regards.
    That is very odd, could you please upload a copy of the script with your data? When you login can you mount the shares through nautilus and if so does it ask for a password? Remember, if it asks for a password you have to tell it to remember the password for this to work.
    MyBlog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There's no problem with mounting either share e.g. through nautilus, no password is needed. Whatever is assigned to SHARES[0] gets mounted, SHARES[1] doesn't play ball. The script below is saved as auto-map-shares and saved in /etc/init.d

#!/bin/bash
    #Here you need to list your shares in the given format
    SHARES[0]="readynas.local/audio"
    SHARES[1]="readynas.local/video"

if [ -e /tmp/smbloginmounts ]; then
    exit
    else
    touch /tmp/smbloginmounts
    fi

#Setup the checking loop to make sure connections is always available
    while [ 1 -eq 1 ]; do
    sleep 30