Thread: Map Windows Shares Permanently with GVFS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Map Windows Shares Permanently with GVFS

[QUOTE=zzyzx1;7658911]
    Quote Originally Posted by NTolerance View Post
    Concept

The file manager in MS Windows has a nice feature called "Map Network Drive". This allows you to permanently assign Samba shares to a drive letter which any program can access. It can be made persistent across reboots. This feature is tremendous when you have a Samba server on your network that has files you need to continuously access.

I followed this to a "T" and it didnt work... no mount... any suggestions..??
    Need more info. Please post all relevant error messages, observations, etc...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

dear NTolerance,
    I've used this way of connecting to my freecom networkdrive I can make the connection. I can read files, I can write files but I cannot replace files with another (newer) version and I cannot delete directories when these directories have files still in it. This is very annoying when using backup software like Synkron.

Do you have any idea how to fix this?

Another machine running windows XP can do the overwriting and multi deleting with no pain at all. I could of course boot into windows when syncronizing my files to the networkdrive, but there should be a nicer ubuntu way to do the job.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by adonet View Post
    dear NTolerance,
    I've used this way of connecting to my freecom networkdrive I can make the connection. I can read files, I can write files but I cannot replace files with another (newer) version and I cannot delete directories when these directories have files still in it. This is very annoying when using backup software like Synkron.

Do you have any idea how to fix this?

Another machine running windows XP can do the overwriting and multi deleting with no pain at all. I could of course boot into windows when syncronizing my files to the networkdrive, but there should be a nicer ubuntu way to do the job.
    I'm not familiar with Synkron, but I will try to help if you're using another method to do the overwrites and deletes, such as Nautilus or the command line. Which one are you getting the problem with? What error message do you get?

There's an option in Nautilus to add a true "delete" command to the context menu. I usually use that to delete any files as the Trashcan seems to be problematic when dealing with non-internal drives.

Beans
    Distro

I'm not familiar with Synkron, but I will try to help if you're using another method to do the overwrites and deletes, such as Nautilus or the command line. Which one are you getting the problem with? What error message do you get?

There's an option in Nautilus to add a true "delete" command to the context menu. I usually use that to delete any files as the Trashcan seems to be problematic when dealing with non-internal drives.
    Synkron is just a program that checks two volumes and copies the files from one volume to another if files are new, changed or deleted. It simply is not allowed to overwrite a file with a newers version of it, nor is it allowed to delete a excisting file.

I get the same input / output error in nautilus and thunar or if I try to resave a file I'm working on in Open Office. I don't use commandline for these kind of actions.

In Thunar I could copy a newer version over an excisting file with the same filemane) But I couldn't make Thunar, nor Nautilus deleting a directory with a file in it. It simply says that the directory doesn't excist. (with Nautilus started from terminal, there a no extra messages visible in the terminal.)

I'm confused with this....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by adonet View Post
    Synkron is just a program that checks two volumes and copies the files from one volume to another if files are new, changed or deleted. It simply is not allowed to overwrite a file with a newers version of it, nor is it allowed to delete a excisting file.

I get the same input / output error in nautilus and thunar or if I try to resave a file I'm working on in Open Office. I don't use commandline for these kind of actions.

In Thunar I could copy a newer version over an excisting file with the same filemane) But I couldn't make Thunar, nor Nautilus deleting a directory with a file in it. It simply says that the directory doesn't excist. (with Nautilus started from terminal, there a no extra messages visible in the terminal.)

I'm confused with this....
    I'm a bit at a loss here because I don't have access to the NAS device that you use. My network shares are served via Samba on Ubuntu and regular Windows systems. Being that so many trouble posts in this thread deal with NAS devices, I wonder if they use Samba settings that GVFS can't understand or properly deal with. You may or may not have control over these settings.

In spite of the fact that you don't use the command line to access this data during normal use, the command line may be required to gain more information about the nature of the errors you're getting. Naturally, it's common to use the command line to get information that the GUI does not provide.

We need to find out if GVFS provides logging information and if so, where that information is kept. So far I haven't been able to find out.

GVFS is still new technology compared to the old fstab method that I discussed in the original post. We may need to punt here and use that method because GVFS isn't working out for you.
    Last edited by NTolerance; August 1st, 2009 at 10:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I'm a bit at a loss here because I don't have access to the NAS device that you use. My network shares are served via Samba on Ubuntu and regular Windows systems. Being that so many trouble posts in this thread deal with NAS devices, I wonder if they use Samba settings that GVFS can't understand or properly deal with. You may or may not have control over these settings.

In spite of the fact that you don't use the command line to access this data during normal use, the command line may be required to gain more information about the nature of the errors you're getting. Naturally, it's common to use the command line to get information that the GUI does not provide.

We need to find out if GVFS provides logging information and if so, where that information is kept. So far I haven't been able to find out.

GVFS is still new technology compared to the old fstab method that I discussed in the original post. We may need to punt here and use that method because GVFS isn't working out for you.

Well, thank you for your comments and help so far. By the way, I'm having the same troubles when mounting the device within fstab.

dmizer is trying to help me on that now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The share folder has parenthesis, so when I run it, I get an error message. Is there a way around this?

Code:
    gvfs-mount smb://compac/external%20(j)/
    Last edited by Burky; October 3rd, 2009 at 04:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Burky View Post
    The share folder has parenthesis, so when I run it, I get an error message. Is there a way around this?

Code:
    gvfs-mount smb://compac/external%20(j)/
    This is a guess on my part, but try putting quotes around the share path:

Code:
    gvfs-mount "smb://compac/external%20(j)"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks a lot NTolerance, I appreciate it. It worked.

Beans

This is a life saver! I'm trying to implement Ubuntu at our school and was having problem mapping shares. This method will do, but I was wondering about a few specifics. Is there anyway to use with the users current credentials (not have to ask for the keyring)? I have connected my test machine to our domain and can login as a domain user, so the current user has full rights to the shares.

If you have to stick with the keyring, what happens when the users password changes? Will it update?

Is there anyway to apply this for all users who login on the machine?

Sorry for the on-slot of questions, but we have a short time frame to do all our feasibility testing before we roll out Ubuntu. Thanks

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast