Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dbus and network manager errors!

Beans

Re: dbus and network manager errors!

Hello from a fellow user.

I've just installed straw on a well-updated Jaunty (9.04) and it fails to fetch any feeds, in either offline or online mode. When ran from the shell, it reports that the network manager has turned it down:

strawdbus.py:69:start_services: Error while connecting to NetworkManager: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Rejected send message, 6 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.175" (uid=500 pid=5313 comm="/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/straw ") interface="(unset)" member="state" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination=":1.13" (uid=0 pid=3443 comm="/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --pid-file /var/run/Netwo"))

The gui itself shows no error message at all - refreshing feeds return instantly (with no data, of course) and adding feeds just leaves the dialog progress bar looping to infinity.

Apparently, straw is a python app that uses dbus to kindly ask the network manager component to give it internet access, and the latter just says "**** off". nm has been giving me similar trouble in a lot of different scenarios; from what I can discern, it's just abandonware.

I'll try a fresh install of straw (not from ubuntu repos, but from gnome themselves) to see it that helps at all.

Thank you for pinging so consistently for so long.
    -i

Beans

According to http://projects.gnome.org/straw/, the project has been abandonware for two years now.

Need to find sth else then.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kozuscek View Post
    Hello from a fellow user.

I've just installed straw on a well-updated Jaunty (9.04) and it fails to fetch any feeds, in either offline or online mode. When ran from the shell, it reports that the network manager has turned it down:

strawdbus.py:69:start_services: Error while connecting to NetworkManager: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Rejected send message, 6 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.175" (uid=500 pid=5313 comm="/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/straw ") interface="(unset)" member="state" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination=":1.13" (uid=0 pid=3443 comm="/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --pid-file /var/run/Netwo"))

The gui itself shows no error message at all - refreshing feeds return instantly (with no data, of course) and adding feeds just leaves the dialog progress bar looping to infinity.

Apparently, straw is a python app that uses dbus to kindly ask the network manager component to give it internet access, and the latter just says "**** off". nm has been giving me similar trouble in a lot of different scenarios; from what I can discern, it's just abandonware.

I'll try a fresh install of straw (not from ubuntu repos, but from gnome themselves) to see it that helps at all.

Thank you for pinging so consistently for so long.
    -i
    Straw will work on Jaunty if you uninstall the python adns library. Yes, the same one it complains about not having in terminal if you remove it. All I know is it starts working again once that package is removed. Doesn't do much for the rampant segmentation faults though...

Also, /BUMP

--bornagainpenguin
    Have a Virgin Mobile USA smartphone?
    Check these guys out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Habitual BUMP
    Check these guys out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

A friend on the eeeuser.com forums who knew that I'd been looking for a solution to this for some time now introduced me to Naufrago! on Gnomefiles.com. This nice little app is pretty much exactly what the doctor ordered. While it is still only at version .0.1 it is functionally able to step right into the gaping void the loss of Straw made. I strongly recommend anyone searching for an offline feed reader for Linux give this app a look despite its very alpha status.

--bornagainpenguin

PS: How would I go about recommending an app for inclusion to the repositories?
    Check these guys out!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123