Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firefox java plugin problems

Beans

Re: Firefox java plugin problems [SOLVED]

Quote Originally Posted by japher View Post
    synapsys: No such package I'm afraid

I've finally got this solved though. I had tried to disable the Iced Tea plugin but obviously it was still interfering somehow. I removed both iced tea packages to fix my problems once and for all.

So, the complete list of commands I ran to get the sun java plugin working completely and correctly was:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin
    sudo update-alternatives --config java (selected the option to make sun jre my default)
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.13/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /home/joe/.mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    sudo apt-get remove icedtea-6-jre-cacao
    sudo apt-get remove icedtea6-plugin
    Not sure if the creation of the symlink is required or not, but it didn't hurt

Hi Japher: I could hug you and kiss your feet!!! You solved my problem which cost me MANY hours ....next time I shall look in this forum from the very start!!
    Thanks again so much, now I got Geogebra running under Firefox.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Firefox java plugin problems

I hate problems with java/icedtea on ubuntu. On karmic java applets worked somehow with icedtea plugin. On lucid (10.04.1) all worked perfectly just out of the box (after installing ubuntu-restricted-extras). maverik - whatever I was doing - without success -- either icedtea or sun-java does't work correctly for me. Problem is, that applets in firefox does not close after game was finished and stay running all the time until I close firefox (or any other browser such as google chrome/chromium).
    Look at www.chess.lt click 'Play' and try to close applet...
    Currently I use Java Version 1.6.0_22 from Sun Microsystems Inc.
    Firefox 3.6.11

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by egidijus; October 29th, 2010 at 01:05 PM.

Beans

Re: Firefox java plugin problems

Tired of solving the problem on 10.10, I've turned back to ubuntu 10.04 and with latest updates the problem persist now even with lucid . I think it happen when latest Ubuntu updates came.
    I think it's ridiculous to use windows OS only for playing java games because ubuntu can't properly handle it.

any suggestions so far?...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by egidijus View Post
    Tired of solving the problem on 10.10, I've turned back to ubuntu 10.04 and with latest updates the problem persist now even with lucid . I think it happen when latest Ubuntu updates came.
    I think it's ridiculous to use windows OS only for playing java games because ubuntu can't properly handle it.

any suggestions so far?...
    you are doing something wrong in installing java!
    sun-java works very well in linux just like in windows!
    all you have to do is install sun-java6-plugin! (from the archive.canonical partner repository)
    remove all openjdk-java and icedtea packages!
    and don't make any java system links (unless you are installing java from sun-java website), it mite mess up you system!
    Intel Atom Dual Core D525 @ 1.80GHz, 1,0GB RAM, Intel Graphics Media Accelator 3150
    Linux User # 478860 Ubuntu User # 24004

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gandaran View Post
    you are doing something wrong in installing java!
    sun-java works very well in linux just like in windows!
    all you have to do is install sun-java6-plugin! (from the archive.canonical partner repository)
    remove all openjdk-java and icedtea packages!
    and don't make any java system links (unless you are installing java from sun-java website), it mite mess up you system!
    Yes gandaran, I did everything you've suggested, maybe 10 times... I agree - sun-java6-plugin (from sun site or partner repos) works very well, but applets cannot be closed after game was completed.
    Please look at http://www.chess.lt/cgi_bin/default.asp?Lang=E and click <play!> link and try close the applet...

Beans

Angry Re: Firefox java plugin problems

Any solution please! I can't believe there isn't any... or should I better report a problem to launchpad?
    Last edited by egidijus; November 6th, 2010 at 09:23 AM.

Beans

So no suggestions as I understand, no any idea what to do... indeed its very sad to realise that I should use WinOS for playing chess.

Beans

anyone have a version of this fix for ubuntu 12.10? Tried to retrace the steps but it doesn't work. Can't seem to find any versions of java that fit this bill.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Old thread closed, please start a new thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12