Thread: Computers without pre-installed OS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Computers without pre-installed OS.

Just came across this website (while reading #25 of Full Circle Magazine -> UK podcast site) :

http://nakedcomputers.org

"For people who like to say “No Thanks!” to proprietary operating systems".

It has a list with websites where computers without OS pre-installed can be bought.

Beans

Re: Computers without pre-installed OS.

Try building your own (from scratch, not clicking "Customize" on Dell's website) to confirm Linux compatibility, and if you need a laptop, just get a good one and install Ubuntu on it. That worked for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Jekshadow View Post
    Try building your own (from scratch, not clicking "Customize" on Dell's website) to confirm Linux compatibility, and if you need a laptop, just get a good one and install Ubuntu on it. That worked for me.
    I've been building my computers since years (except for my first 8086 and 486 which I got second hand).

I have posted this link here in the hope to spread this information for people who want to buy a brand new computer without the Microsoft-Tax, and are not able to build one themselves.

glad you like it! I just got fed up of hunting about to find computers I could buy without rewarding Microsoft for providing an operating system I don't want. Fair competitive markets don't work like that. So I figured loads of people would be in the same position as me so a catalogue of suppliers selling naked computers would be a handy thing to have around. Do let me know if you find any other suppliers selling naked computers. Some places will do a naked desktop as a special order, but under the counter deals don't count. It has to be an up front option on the price list.
    Laptops are a worse situation than desktops at the moment. If the laptop you want doesn't have a naked option and you still decide to purchase then please do follow the "request a refund" procedure and keep records of what happens, some suppliers will refuse to honour the request which is outrageous. Anything you can do to raise the media profile of the situation (or just the site) would be appreciated.
    Lets fix bug #1!