Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT Driver Problems

Beans

Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT Driver Problems

I've searched this thing to death, and found several posts, but no working solutions. Here's the specs...

I'm running the latest version of Ubuntu (I think we are up to 9.10 or so?) x86_64 bit version. I upgrade the thing daily, so all the packages are up to date as of yesterday.

I have been running an ATI Radeon 9800 SE video card in for a couple years, which took long enough to find a solution to the correct configuration. I just got a new video card, because that one is almost dead. As mentioned it is a Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT, not PCIe but regular PCI slot.

So first I went directly to the Nvidia website and downloaded the correct driver, and follow their instructions to install it. Rebooted, and I'm stuck in a 600x480 resolution. I'm running this on a 19" LCD so yeah it looks awful. It appears that the driver has installed, as I can run nvidia-xconfig, which doesn't help, and I can use the Nvidia Display Configuration tool instead of the Ubuntu one. However, changing the display resolution in the Nvidia Display Configuration Utility only makes my screen scrollable, so that it's like I'm zoomed in on a 600x480 portion of the screen.

I tried modifying my xorg.config file by adding Mode "1280x1024" in the same place I needed to modify the previous one for my ATI card. (Can't remember which section that was, maybe Display?). That didn't help. So I tried removing the driver and installing the latest one in Synaptic (named something like nvidia-glx-180, or something similar). Same problem, so again I removed the package and installed it through the proprietary hardware drivers manager. No help there either. Can anyone help find a solution?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT Driver Problems

Could you post your xorg please
    Code:
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Also which version 9.04 or 9.10 as 9.10 is still beta?

Beans

Thank you for your reply. I was trying to use the xorg.conf file created by running the command 'nvidia-xconfig', and I modified it slightly, but it had no effect. Here it is:

Code:
    # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder62)  Tue Mar 24 06:15:32 PST 2009

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load           "dbe"
        Load           "extmod"
        Load           "type1"
        Load           "freetype"
        Load           "glx"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "Unknown"
        HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
        VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    At one point I modified the Screen Section to look like this...

Code:
    Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
            Modes      "1280x1024"
        EndSubSection
    EndSection

Beans

sorry, forgot to answer the other question... I believe it's 9.04, because I do not have it set to download or install any preleased or unsupported software packages. Only the official packages and security releases.

Beans

*bump*
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by The_Crow33 View Post
    *bump*
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi and have you tried to install the nvidia driver manually?
    You may look at the 185.XX nvidia driver here

Beans

Yeah, I tried manually installing the driver from Nvidia's website. I tried the stable version first, no luck. Then I just followed that link you sent to a 'T', but no luck there either. No errors when starting X now, I checked the logs and nothing. No errors of any sort. I did notice that if I uninstall the nvidia display configuration utility and attempt to change my resolution using the ubuntu display utility, it warns that my monitor is unknown. Is there any chance that it is my monitor that is the problem, and not the video drivers?

Beans
    Hidden!

Just a silly question, did you --purge remove the previous ATI drivers? Also do a total unistall of any installed nvidia or ati modaliases and linux restricted modules and linux restricted modules common.

Beans

Thanks for the help. After the first fail, that occured to me as well. So I completely removed any and all video drivers I could find and retried. Still no luck with that. Then after reading the nvidia guide to setup on linux, I noticed a few more packages such as the linux restricted modules and so on that needed to be removed, and a few that needed to be added (linux kernel source). None of that seems to help. Any other ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!

Same issue here. I am running the exact same video card (Nvidia 9500 GT). My screen res is a little different though. I'm at 1280*720 on a monitor that does 1920*1080. I have no idea what the issue is. I am able to install the latest version of the nvidia driver and then i can change my screen res to 1920*1080... but the panels and menus are all pushed off the screen. I have tried to modify my xorg.conf but the changes have made no difference. I have also tried configuring the monitor but the settings on the monitor do not change the display at all. I have also tried previous versions of the proprietary nvidia drivers and none work without the latest. Any versions before the most current put me in low graphics mode. I am running out of ideas...

Hey GURUS---- HELP MEH!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast