Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Configure mdadm RAID e-mail Notifications via ISP SMTP Using msmtp

Beans

Re: How To Configure mdadm RAID e-mail Notifications via ISP SMTP Using msmtp

Hi

Thanks for your response, it has been useful so far!!

I do however have one issue...

I think my issue is linked with your statement:
    "* mdadm e-mail notification by default looks for /usr/sbin/sendmail."

I can send emails successfully using msmtp but it seems that mdadm still uses sendmail because I can see changes to /etc/postfix/main.cf refelct in /var/log/mail.log.

My mails get bounced back and I think it is because the from field is incorrect. With msmtp I set my from field to myemail@gmail.com but i cannot do that with main.cf as it sends it as the user I am logged in with i.e. root@myhostname.com

I have edited the /etc/aliases file with root: myemail@gmail.com as well.

I am out of ideas now and any help would be appreciated!!

Can I set mdadm so it uses msmtp instead of postfix? I am not sure if I even udnerstand all this correctly, so if I am talking trash, please correct me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Instead of install msmtp package, please all of you install msmtp-mta package.
    Better do this with sudo aptitude, because you have to remove broken dependency between postfix.
    If you do this correct aptitude will install msmtp package and automatically will link sendmail to msmtp.

jk@ubuntu1:/usr/sbin$ ll sendmail
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 2011-09-15 23:06 sendmail -> ../bin/msmtp*
    Last edited by jacekk015; September 15th, 2011 at 10:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by jacekk015 View Post
    Instead of install msmtp package, please all of you install msmtp-mta package.
    Better do this with sudo aptitude, because you have to remove broken dependency between postfix.
    If you do this correct aptitude will install msmtp package and automatically will link sendmail to msmtp.

jk@ubuntu1:/usr/sbin$ ll sendmail
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 2011-09-15 23:06 sendmail -> ../bin/msmtp*
    I set up my first mdadm array yesterday so would like to set up monitoring and email notifications this evening. Can anyone verify that the last bit of advice above works (so that I can ignore the symbolic link bit in the original post)? Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by njparton View Post
    Can anyone verify that the last bit of advice above works (so that I can ignore the symbolic link bit in the original post)? Thanks
    ...I know this is an old post, but yes, I can verify it works as described on 11.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Great, I have it working in Debian Squeeze too.

Beans

Thanks for your great guide. I made this journey on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, here is my shortened version;

Ubuntu 12.04 does autostart "mdadm" daemon, so i just added a service restart command at the end. I also excluded the "configure a Mail Transfer Agent (MTA)" part.

instructions:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf
    edit “MAILADDR”, be sure to have a sendmail MTA configured (i use ssmtp, orginal poster suggested msmtp. both is used for relaying the mail to a external SMTP server, like gmail)

verify config is working, by running and then check your inbox:

Code:
    sudo mdadm --monitor --scan --test --oneshot
    by default, Ubuntu will auto-start mdadm in daemon mode, see /etc/default/mdadm

To make the changes to /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf take place, restart the deamon:

Code:
    sudo service mdadm restart

Beans

Hello,

Thanks for writing this guide, I found it quite detailed and easy to follow, and it works (Using Ubuntu 12.04.1 64b) except for one thing.

I installed everything as described, performed the mdadm notification tests (which worked), and then proceded to perform a test. I turned the computer off, then I unplugged one of the hard drives and booted up.

I can confirm (using Webmin) that mdadm has detected the degraded array, but I received no notification.

If I restart the service (sudo service mdadm restart), then I get a notification on the degraded array. Or if I stop the service, I will get the notification upon service start.

So, if the notifications are being sent on mdadm start, why are they NOT being sent on system boot, when mdadm starts?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I know this post is old and probably no one really monitors it however I keep getting this error when trying to test my email as described in the first post. msmtp: /etc/msmtprc: line 49: account Gmail not (yet) defined

I did change my password to the app specific password as described earlier as well. When I go into the mail logs, I see this
    Mar 24 02:53:38 server-box postfix/sendmail[4354]: fatal: open /etc/postfix/main.cf: No such file or directory
    Mar 24 08:25:57 server-box postfix/sendmail[1132]: fatal: open /etc/postfix/main.cf: No such file or directory

Could this be because I have postfix installed? I could remove it as I haven't yet gotten it set up for anything.
    Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Since I originally wrote this how-to on Ubuntu 8.04, I have since built a new server, and reconfiguring my RAID monitoring has been long over-due. I finally got around to it, and edited this how-to accordingly to be updated for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. In addition, I have noted the feedback regarding the proper way to have msmtp be sendmail (msmtp-mta).

Further feedback on the edited instructions is appreciated.
    Last edited by fermulator; May 19th, 2013 at 02:54 AM.
    ~Fermmy

Beans

Thanks for this write-up! Worked great, sendmail worked without having to make the links manually.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast