Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adding KDE to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Arrow Adding KDE to Ubuntu

Hey everyone!

What do you all think about adding KDE to Ubuntu.
    KDE desktop environment looks interesting.

I came across thins link:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde

What do you all think, is KDE worth it?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Adding KDE to Ubuntu

If you use psychocat's method, you can try it and easily get rid of it if you do not like it.

Same with xubuntu (xfce)...
    -merlin

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I've used Kubuntu for some time now, and to follow the instructions to install the Kubuntu desktop is a piece of cake.

It runs alongside Ubuntu flawlessly, a simple matter of selecting which environment you want for thee current session.

I recommend it.... highly.
    "To give perfect expression to the One, the Infinite, through the harmony of the many; to the One, the Love, through the sacrifice of self, is the object alike of our individual life and our society."
    Rabindranath Tagore

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi

I've been using kubuntu for just over 3 years now. Aged Hippy will know me as The Liquidator (damn! wish I could change my name on this forum to be consistent!). KDE rocks, and if you go to the current version (4.2.4) I would say it's now stable.

I'm going to do a reinstall tonight as I've got some tidying up to do -I have both kubuntu and ubuntu disks. Is there any benefit in using one or the other?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi Liquidator

There can be some minor problems with the KDE desktop, i experience a lot of freezes (when booted into Hardy/KDE 3.5) when using Firefox, but only after i install Flash and Java, etc.

I find that Ubuntu with the KDE desktop added doesn't have as many freezes as Kubuntu installed by itself, even with exactly the same Flash/Java installed.
    It has only happened twice in over a week, with Hardy it was 4 - 5 times a day.

I haven't had that problem with 9.04 (KDE 4) either, with only a couple of crashes since i installed it.... and i'm about to download and install the Kubuntu Jaunty KDE 3 Remix Release Candidate, maybe i'll be able to comment on that in a day or so.... i do like variety.

To gently approach the original Topic I think that the Kubuntu desktop is better looking than the Ubuntu one, and it may be a bit easier to personalise it, so i say Go For It.
    "To give perfect expression to the One, the Infinite, through the harmony of the many; to the One, the Love, through the sacrifice of self, is the object alike of our individual life and our society."
    Rabindranath Tagore

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Thanks
    Is your current setup kubuntu 9.04 or ubuntu 9.04 +kde?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

At the moment my default boot OS is Ubuntu 9.04 with KDE installed.

There is also Kubuntu Hardy 8.04, Kubuntu Jaunty 9.04 (and Win XP of course ).

Sorry if i wandered around everywhere without answering a question.
    Rabindranath Tagore

Beans

I'm using Kubuntu 9.04 and KDE is sweet to use. It's gorgeous and easy to use. I prefer KDE or XFCE now. KDE looks better and XFCE looks clean and nice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I used to use opensuse with KDE & it was a very good desktop indeed.

Then they brought out KDE4 before it was really unusable & that is why I have now installed ubuntu with gnome (to learn about gnome too). However, I'm going to try KDE again as I miss a few features. KDE3 was much more configurable than gnome.
    Last edited by vayira; June 14th, 2009 at 02:55 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by vayira
    I used to use opensuse with KDE & it was a very good desktop indeed.

Then they brought out KDE4 before it was really usable & that is why I have now installed ubuntu with gnome (to learn about gnome too). However, I'm going to try KDE again as I miss a few features. KDE3 was much more configurable than gnome.
    If you install KDE (sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop) alongside Gnome on a Ubuntu 8.04 installation, it is the KDE 3.5 desktop , not KDE 4.
    Rabindranath Tagore

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast