Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virtualbox, Exchange 2007/MAPI, and ZUNE

Beans

outlook in vb wont connect, now no net connection

outlook in vb wont connect, now no net connection

Postby 4heid » 16. Jul 2009, 00:55
    I am running Ubuntu 9.02 with VB 3.0.2 with Vista.
    I installed vista and outlook 2007 successfully. The first attempt showed a local and internet connection in vbox and I rebooted after installing outlook.
    After attempting to setup my exchange in outlook, it would not connect to the server so I checked my net connection inside the box and it shows now local only.

In the settings in vbox I have the network connect attached as Host only adaptor.I tried NAT and the Bridge with Eth1 (the working net connection on my host), all other network options and that didnt work either.

With the Bridge, I get internet service when first booting but it always disappears after 30 secs thus I cant connect to OUtlook and finish setting up exchange.

Anyone have any thoughts to get the connection back to vbox and then what to do about outlook?

TIA,
    Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Virtualbox, Exchange 2007/MAPI, and ZUNE

Outlook 2007 is connecting with Exchange 2007 via MAPI for me; everything seems to work. I'm running XP pro in VB 3.0.4, and have made no changes to the default settings for anything related to networking. I installed VB 3 via Synaptic after using Synaptic to unistall VB 2.

I haven't had a chance to test syncing a Zune, and probably won't get that chance in the near future.

Sorry, I don't know what is going on with others' networking problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

4heid,

Outlook will work properly once the networking issue is solved. Zune, I do not know.

My use of networking is mainly through the wireless on my laptop. I travel a lot, so much of the time I am attaching to some hotel or coffee shop WiFi. I use network manager on the laptop.

I do not know if you have looked at the help files. There is some good information there. In regards to networking, try Help -> Contents -> Sun xVM VirtualBox -> Virtual networking.

In my case, I tried to get my wireless working directly under VirtualBox (Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 32 bit). That did not work so I tried to get my Ethernet card to work directly also. That did not work, either. Then I read sections 6.1 and 6.4 in the help, and changed to the PCnet-FAST III adapter type and NAT as the attached to type. I left the MAC address alone (my laptop wireless was active at the time). That did not work either! Then I went back and checked the Cable Connected box. After this, the networking worked properly.

On the Windows side, I use obtain an IP address automatically and obtain DNS server address automatically for the Internet Protocol. The adapter is labeled AMD PCNET Family PCI Adapter which became available after I made the selection in the VirtualBox Settings for the virtual machine.

I wrote a post for VirtualBox 3.0.4, it may be of some help. I use Hardy 8.04.3 AMD64. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1231646
    System76 Serval Performance SER-P3 December 2007 Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 32-bit | System76 Meerkat NetTop MENT1 July 2009 Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bertmanphx View Post
    Although, I do think that the Evolution email client will now work with Exchange 2k7.
    Yes. Evolution (version 2.26.1 with Evolution Exchange Connector version 2.26.0) email works flawlessly with Exchange 2k7 and OWA. But the server must have OWA enabled for this to work. I have not tried the MAPI plug-in. In my case, if I am connected to the server from within my university's network, everything works, including GAL dependent functions such as shared mail boxes, shared calendars, shared contact lists, etc. However, the firewall prevents connection to the GAL from outside the network and breaks shared mailboxes, calendars, etc. when off-campus. If you can VPN into the network, GAL dependent functionality should be restored (I can't test this, because my university inexplicably uses a proprietary VPN and does not allow Linux clients to connect, even though a Linux client is available).

My normal, day-to-day needs (calendar, contact lists, email, out-of-office settings, etc.) are still fully functional through Evolution when off-campus. When I need the additional GAL dependent functionality, VirtualBox 3.0.* with Outlook works well.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

HotShotDJ,

Can you say what values you entering in setting up Evolution to work with OWA? I use OWA via Firefox, but can't get it working in Evolution. Neither can one of my friends,

Thanks,

Futurian

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Futurian View Post
    Can you say what values you entering in setting up Evolution to work with OWA? I use OWA via Firefox, but can't get it working in Evolution. Neither can one of my friends
    It took some experimenting for me, as well. Here is what got mine working:

Server Type: Microsoft Exchange
    Username: domain\username
    OWA URL: https://webmail.yourschool.edu
    Specify the mailbox name: checked
    Mailbox: username

My university has separate domains for Faculty/Staff and Students, so we need to specify the domain as part of the username field. In my case, it is "facstaff\username" -- a corporation might have different domains set for different departments, for example, Accounting, Sales, Administration. I know I have to do the same thing when I enter my username in Outlook, so my guess is that if you don't need a domain name when you use Outlook, you won't need it in Evolution.

The OWA URL server is the same URL that I enter into Firefox to get to the web interface (without all the /exchg/fac/login that gets tagged on after Firefox connects). I've seen some that look something like "https://webmail.yourcorp.com/exchange" -- in any case, it should be the same as the OWA URL that you enter into Outlook. And you do need the "https://" or "http://" preface. If you leave it off, nothing will work.

You can probably leave the "Specify the mailbox name" and "Mailbox" fields blank. When I clicked the "Authenticate" button, they were filled in automatically. The same with "Authentication Type" -- it was set by the server after I clicked "Authenticate."

On the Receiving Options tab, I set it to check for new messages every 1 minute. Important -- leave the "Global Catalog server name" field blank for now. It is usually a different server than the OWA, and, from my searching and reading, it usually does not work from outside the corporate network. In my case, the server name is the same as the root domain of my university (myuniversity.com) and works perfectly from within the network, but it crashes Evolution when I try it from outside the network. Apparently, the GAL is handled differently in Evolution then it is in MS Outlook, since Outlook does not have any issue with the GAL when I'm off campus. Hopefully, the developers of the exchange and/or MAPI plugins will work out the magic to make this work in the future.

Once you get connected, you will want to make some changes to the Defaults tab so that your Drafts Folder and Sent Messages Folder are set to you exchange account rather than local folders. I'm pretty sure everything else is self explanatory.

I hope this helps you out.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks, HotShotDJ!
    I tried some different combinations, based on your report, but I still get a message that Evolution can't connect to the server. I wonder if something could have been done on the server end to not allow applications other than browsers to connect.

Thanks again. I really do appreciate your willingness to take time to help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12