Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to configure resize window with alt drag

Beans

Re: how to configure resize window with alt drag

Bit of a necro, but I thought it worth adding my experiences in this area.

Having right/middle click switched on GNOME is something that's pushed me to XFCE with Xubuntu for a long time, I want resize on my right button, personal preference, so haing stuck with plain Ubuntu with a 9.10 install, went wandering through the config to set this up.

There is an option in metacity's gconf for "resize_with_right_button", I couldn't get this to work. This turns out that I'm using Compiz and this option doesn't transfer across (unsure whether this is a compiz or GNOME issue). Presumably this will work if you've all effects off though.

Next is ccsm. The instructions from zadehas in post 2 will work, but first you have to untick "Enable integration into the desktop environment" located in "Preferences".
    Otherwise you get the behaviour described by vayira where ccsm immediately sets the option back to the GNOME default.

Hope that helps anyone else who comes across this thread with similar problems.

Beans

Thanks, Mincus,that works.

Since gconf-editor now has the option of switching it seems to solely be a Compiz problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

AbtZ, did you ever file this as a bug? I am seeing this issue in Lucid, and would appreciate it if you filed the bug - I will be happy to confirm it.

Beans

Yes I did. Here's the link:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/495135

I actually think it should be easy to fix the issue, but there are no replies as of yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Smile Re: how to configure resize window with alt drag

Try getting a new 3 or 5 button mouse.
    How can I use a signature in forums?

Beans

How has this got anything to do with the mouse I'm using?

With the two mice I have and, more importantly, the trackpads of my two laptops it doesn't work properly.

Beans

necro again since it's still broken by default in a fresh ubuntu 10.04 install :

alt+rightclick window-resize (important since this is kde default behaviour, so needed for kde->gnome switchers) :

ccsm/compiz config options don't show any effect and are reset the next time ccsm is started ? go to Preferences, and if gconf is selected as a back-end, then make sure that the checkbox "Enable integration into the desktop environment" is UNCHECKED.
    (found in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/146736 )

the option itself : install ccsm/compizconfig : in general:general options disable the window menu under key bindings. in window management: scale/resize window: change the key from alt+middle mouse to alt+right mouse.
    in

Beans

oh ubuntuforums, thank you for this wisdom. it's been about two or three years of frustration. i'm not coming from KDE, but more from fluxbox or legacy X11 environment if you wish and have been very frustrated being forced to use alt+button2 for window-resize, because in compiz or gnome it was not possible to disable alt+button3 for Window Menu and setup alt+button3 for window resize.

going to CompizConfig Settings Manager > Preferences and unticking "Enable integration into the desktop environment", suddenly made my life brighter.

Thanks. Looks like this was fixed in Maverick.
    Last edited by lukanova; March 30th, 2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: checked if this was fixed in Maverick.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lukanova View Post
    going to CompizConfig Settings Manager > Preferences and unticking "Enable integration into the desktop environment", suddenly made my life brighter.

Thanks. Looks like this was fixed in Maverick.
    Long overdue, but thanks! This suddenly appeared in Ubuntu 12.10, and this fixed it immediately.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12