Thread: Possible Intusion?

Beans

Possible Intusion?

Hey guys. Ive been kind of paranoid about something in the last few days and I hope u might be able to help me diagnose it. I Downloaded and setup virtualbox on my system so I could play around with the Win 7 RC. While it was running i noticed my system was using a more significant amount of memory and network as to be expected. Heres the issue though, after shutting it down and carrying on with my other projects (and after several reboots) Ive been noticing way more mem and network activity on my system. Even right now Im uploading and downloading in the 100's of kb range even though nothing is open. Any suggestions as to whats going on or how I can investigate it?

BTW i know i spelled intrusion wrong in the title lol
    Last edited by uberlube; June 10th, 2009 at 01:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Possible Intusion?

Quote Originally Posted by uberlube View Post
    Hey guys. Ive been kind of paranoid about something in the last few days and I hope u might be able to help me diagnose it. I Downloaded and setup virtualbox on my system so I could play around with the Win 7 RC. While it was running i noticed my system was using a more significant amount of memory and network as to be expected. Heres the issue though, after shutting it down and carrying on with my other projects (and after several reboots) Ive been noticing way more mem and network activity on my system. Even right now Im uploading and downloading in the 100's of kb range even though nothing is open. Any suggestions as to whats going on or how I can investigate it?

BTW i know i spelled intrusion wrong in the title lol
    Good Place to Start

Code:
    netstat
    Will show you current network connection.
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Beans

Re: Possible Intusion?

Hmmm i dont see anything out of the ordinary now. Plus my network and mem are back to normal. Ill try this again when my network starts to spike again.