Thread: triple boot ubuntu / kubuntu / xubuntu -- is this possible?

Beans

Question triple boot ubuntu / kubuntu / xubuntu -- is this possible?

Hey,

I normally use kubuntu on my laptop. I want to triple boot all 3 distributions so I can support other people, including people on ubuntu and xubuntu. As a result, cluttered application menus are not an option -- I need to see exactly what a user on a ubuntu-only system sees, and see exactly what a user on a xubuntu-only system sees.

The simple solution is to have 3 partitions, and install kubuntu, ubuntu and xubuntu on each one.

Can I access my files when I am in ubuntu and xubuntu? If I set up a separate, shared partition for /home, could the 3 distributions coexist without stepping on each other? I need to see exactly what a user on a ubuntu-only system sees, and see exactly what a user on a xubuntu-only system sees.

If I apt-get all the updates in kubuntu, do I have to apt-get all the updates again in ubuntu and xubuntu? If I set up a separate, shared partition for /var, could the 3 distributions coexist without stepping on each other?

Is there anything else?

I am still on 8.04. I tried 8.10, but there was not right click compress option in konqueror. I tried 9.04, but there were conflicts when I tried to install gpm and something else (I do not remember what). So for now, the users I support and I are sticking with LTS (in kubuntu, ubuntu and xubuntu).

thanks,

tcoffeep Guest

Re: triple boot ubuntu / kubuntu / xubuntu -- is this possible?

If you have each version on seperate partitions other than the /home partition, you shouldn't have a problem.

And, yes, you'd need to update all 3 seperately as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: triple boot ubuntu / kubuntu / xubuntu -- is this possible?

Sure you can. Or another option is one install and all 3 desktops. You can choose the one you want to use from the session option of the login screen.
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ