Thread: Installing SPSS 17 on Jaunty 9.04 - Authorization won't connect.

Beans

Installing SPSS 17 on Jaunty 9.04 - Authorization won't connect.

Hi, everyone. I'm trying to install a fully legal school licensed copy of SPSS statistical software onto my Ubuntu 9.04 Laptop using Wine 1.0.1. Installation seems to go pretty well, aside from a very ugly interface with the licensing program. However, when I try to authorize my copy using the authentication code, it does not seem to connect to the internet properly for the authorization process.

I am wondering if there is a workaround for this?

It does give the option of setting up a proxy server through which to connect, (I've never done this before with anything, so I'm not sure how, nor if it will do any good). I'm hoping to get this up and running since I'll need to use it for my statistics class over the next 8 weeks.

And yes, I've tried PSPP, and it simply does not do what I need it to. If I had more time, I'd be more than happy to try out R and JGR, but I'm working with files from the professor and sharing files with a group, so I need to be working in the same environment they are. So, I'm looking for SPSS specific fixes here.

Thanks, everyone.

Beans

Re: Installing SPSS 17 on Jaunty 9.04 - Authorization won't connect.

Well, apparently there's no one monitoring their email system, even though they tell me to email them. Any ideas on how to make this work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i really wish there was a solution to this. i'm in the situation where i've got a legal copy of spss 17 for windows, and a commuter license accordingly. but spss charges for the linux client as a separate product, so my only option is to get spss 17 for windows to work on ubuntu with wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I, too, would like to install SPSS onto Unbuntu. I've not tried yet, as I am also looking for Linux alternatives to SPSS, MLWIN and WinSTEPS. However, if anyone does manage to solve it, I'd be keen to know.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    AMD 64 3000+ | ASUS K8V SE Deluxe | 2GB DDR RAM | ATI Radeon 9600 SE 256MB
    sd0 = 250GB SATA2 | sd1 = 250GB SATA2 | hd0 = 40GB IDE

Beans

sudo apt-get install rkward

Beans

oneiric, you're a pillock. If he says he needs SPSS, then that is what he needs, not anything else. Bugger off.

Shekibobo, did you get a solution to this? I have the same problem.