Hi all....just thought I'd post a quick tale of my weekend just gone (yay for 3 day break here in Aus...thank you Queenie!!)

I've recently ditched XP on my HTPC and decided that I'd do the hard work with Ubuntu, XBMC and MythTV. I'm not overly new to Linux but it has been 18 months since I used it in depth (had to ditch it on my desktop for gaming reasons), so I did struggle initially.

I had XBMC running along nicely and suddenly I lost audio. No sound worked at all. I scoured the support threads for both XBMC and Ubuntu, tried all sorts of tests, updated drivers...you name it. I spent 4 hours in total before I tried one last solution. This method involved changing some settings in the GUI for the audio on the system - something that oddly until this point had not even been mentioned.

Needless to say the first thing I noticed was the red circle/cross over the speaker icon.

What sucked just as much was that after yelling "I'm a f**king idiot" (3 times) all I heard was "I know" coming from outside where my girlfriend was busy hanging up her washing

Stupid mute.