Thread: UNDESIRED BEHAVIOR: Sound turns off if I switch users.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation UNDESIRED BEHAVIOR: Sound turns off if I switch users.

I am running jaunty.

If I am playing music with totem or VLC, when I switch users, or switch tty sessions (i.e. Ctrl-Alt-F1) to a session that I am not currently LOGGED INTO, it will turn off.

I wish to disable this behavior and make it such that audio will continue to play no matter which tty session is active or which user I am logged into (I believe the "switch user" functionality in GDM or GNOME switched tty sessions)

Can this be reconfigured? What do you believe may be causing this "problem"?

Is it pulseaudio? ALSA? my sound card? I do not recall this behavior (although I may just be wrong) with prior versions of *buntu, and I've been running *buntu on this machine since 5.10 or so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: UNDESIRED BEHAVIOR: Sound turns off if I switch users.

It is pulseaudio. It does not run as a systemwide daemon by default for security reasons. That said, and just so you know there are security concerns with doing this, you can configure pulseaudio to run systemwide very easily by editing the etc/pulse/daemon.conf file. Uncomment and change this line like this

;system-instance = no

to

system-instance = yes

and restart pulseaudio.
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by markbuntu View Post
    It is pulseaudio. It does not run as a systemwide daemon by default for security reasons. That said, and just so you know there are security concerns with doing this, you can configure pulseaudio to run systemwide very easily by editing the etc/pulse/daemon.conf file. Uncomment and change this line like this

;system-instance = no

to

system-instance = yes

and restart pulseaudio.
    What "security concerns" are there?

I'm confused.

Shouldn't it just run in the background?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

When you run pulseaudio as a system instance then all users are able to load and unload modules, control the volumes etc. This is not a big concern with single user systems but can be in multiuser systems.
    PMs will be ignored.