Thread: low contrast scrollbars with the Human theme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

low contrast scrollbars with the Human theme

I love the Human theme. Its the most useful and good looking of the default themes that come with Ubuntu. But theres one thing that annoys me about Human. The scroll bar has a very low contrast against the scrollbar background. Whenever I want to scroll a page with the scroll bar, I look to the left of the screen, then have to wait a few seconds to let my eyes adjust so I can make out where the scroll cursor is. Sometimes I find it faster to look for the little three dashes, but even those are just as hard to notice. Am I the only one that finds it hard to use the scroll bars when the cursor doesn't contrast with the background very well? It seems that Ubuntu has a lot of really talented people working very hard on the art. It seems odd that such a usability restricting problem would exist... Is it just me? When I switch to another theme, such as DarkRoom, the scroll bars are MUCH easier to use. But the rest of the themes aren't as clean and clear as Human.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: low contrast scrollbars with the Human theme

Quote Originally Posted by nbv4 View Post
    I love the Human theme. Its the most useful and good looking of the default themes that come with Ubuntu. But theres one thing that annoys me about Human. The scroll bar has a very low contrast against the scrollbar background. Whenever I want to scroll a page with the scroll bar, I look to the left of the screen, then have to wait a few seconds to let my eyes adjust so I can make out where the scroll cursor is. Sometimes I find it faster to look for the little three dashes, but even those are just as hard to notice. Am I the only one that finds it hard to use the scroll bars when the cursor doesn't contrast with the background very well? It seems that Ubuntu has a lot of really talented people working very hard on the art. It seems odd that such a usability restricting problem would exist... Is it just me? When I switch to another theme, such as DarkRoom, the scroll bars are MUCH easier to use. But the rest of the themes aren't as clean and clear as Human.
    The Human theme suffers from a limitation of the Murrine GTK engine - you cannot set a different contrast/colour for the scrollbar's background area.

If you want, take a look at the unofficial update linked in my signature - it uses a coloured scrollbar to counter this problem.