Thread: ModemManager or Mobile Manager ?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

ModemManager or Mobile Manager ?

I see from this thread , and other related information, that version 0.8 of Network Manager will have ModemManager with it.

Whilst ModemManager is for Huawei cards, it seems Mobile Manager supports many more devices, such as:

- Huawei
    - Option
    - Nozomi
    - Sierra
    - Novatel
    - Usb devices
    - Bluetooth devices

There is a PPA for ModemManager here

Can version 0.8 of Network manager have the option of either 'plugging in' Modemmanager OR Mobile Manager ?

Oygle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ModemManager or Mobile Manager ?

Hi oygle,
    it is good to have 2 options, but I feel we need a 3rd more "Open" option/procedure/definition and a file with parameters (10-modem.fdi wvdial.conf)!

New modems are manufactured every day/week/month ... so there is no way to simulate the future. As most modems have a minimum of standardisation (AT commands, ETSI protocols) the software designer may leave the user to adjust some parameters (port#, Init string, type of connection). You must include the most in compatibility but can you test everything?

Do you know that you can almost connect by just using terminal commands? (assuming that you have the /dev/ttyUSBx)

It is very funny comparing a Huawei 3G modem with a ZTE one. Huawei uses USB channel/port 0 & 1 as the communication (ppp) and the telemetry (signal, etc) while ZTE uses USB channel/port 1 & 3. They are compatible to ETS07.05 and ETS07.07 so with the same AT command AT+CSQ you can get the signal strength (GSM mode). Ok they have some advanced features using custom commands but the baseline remains. The main difference to access the modem is a number! The port number.

From the "stone age" of modems (RX=300Baud TX=75Baud) there is a command that restores factory settings: AT&F
    Using this command you can have a fixed starting point (you do not care what saved as current profile in a previous session or by a Windows PC). All these years the standard Init command includes ... +FCLASS=0 which means "I will not use my modem as a FAX!" Sorry, next year is 2010 and it becomes difficult to find a fax machine. Also this is the default condition.

Concluding, the main idea is "just make what you want or what you can and leave others to continue your job"! From your link above I feel that there is some competition there.

Regards,
    George
    Last edited by GeorgeVita; June 10th, 2009 at 01:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi George,

Thanks for your very informative post.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeVita View Post
    They are compatible to ETS07.05 and ETS07.07 so with the same AT command AT+CSQ you can get the signal strength (GSM mode). Ok they have some advanced features using custom commands but the baseline remains. The main difference to access the modem is a number! The port number.
    My Huawei E169 connects via Network Manager (not wvdial, etc), and works okay. Do you mean I can simply send a AT+CSQ AT command to the modem, and get signal strength ?

Thanks,

Oygle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ok, lets do some 'terminal' tries:

- Boot without the modem (my system is 9.04 Desktop running from SDHC card reader on EeePC 1000H)

- Attach modem (E169)

- Open a terminal window and try ls /dev/ttyU* to see that ports are created
    Code:
    g@sd:~$ ls /dev/ttyU*
    /dev/ttyUSB0  /dev/ttyUSB1  /dev/ttyUSB2
    - Copy all output coming from /dev/ttyUSB0 to a file (ex. myUSB0)
    (type the command cp /dev/ttyUSB0 myUSB and press <enter>)
    the terminal window becomes frozen (... like running wvdial...)

Code:
    g@sd:~$ ls /dev/ttyU*
    /dev/ttyUSB0  /dev/ttyUSB1  /dev/ttyUSB2
    g@sd:~$ cp /dev/ttyUSB0 myUSB0
    - Open a 2nd terminal window and type the following commands (shown in bold below) first line and press <enter>, 2nd line and press <enter> ...
    Code:
    g@sd:~$ echo "AT" >> /dev/ttyUSB0
    g@sd:~$ echo "AT+CSQ" >> /dev/ttyUSB0
    g@sd:~$ echo "AT&V" >> /dev/ttyUSB0
    g@sd:~$ echo "AT" >> /dev/ttyUSB0
    g@sd:~$
    echo command copies (or displays) everything within double quotes (or simple quotes) to standard output (display) or the device you specify (here is our /dev/ttyUSB0). >> means append.

- Return to the previous terminal window and press ctrl-c (break, ... like wvdial ...)!

- List the file just created with cat myUSB command:
    Code:
    g@sd:~$ cat myUSB0
    Try sending the command "ATI" (or ATI0, ATI1, ATI2,...)! You will see all info that Huawei knows about their modem and not what results from a vendorID : productID look up table!

Regards,
    George
    Last edited by GeorgeVita; July 1st, 2009 at 05:57 PM.