Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mineral Oil PC!

Beans

Re: Mineral Oil PC!

Quote Originally Posted by H2SO_four View Post
    Ok, thanks This is on my list of things to do. Did you do any special lighting inside?
    I'd wager you'd want to use cold cathodes-as just about anything else bright enough will cause more heat issues. You can get 'em on NewEgg for only $6-10 a tube.
    Last edited by Skripka; June 8th, 2009 at 03:12 AM.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok, thanks This is on my list of things to do. Did you do any special lighting inside?
    oh yeah, we added a neon blue light, one of those long bar lights(kind of like this http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/directron_2055_119150782 except not as weird). we hung it on the under side of the lid using those plastic pull ties, the glue pads wouldn't stick because we got oil on them. that and we figured the heat would kill the glue anyway. makes things a little safer. also, that is another reason to use mineral oil, mineral oil is clear, vegetable oil has a yellow tent(looks disgusting.)

we also put fish tank rocks and a little castle in there. MAKE SURE you know what your putting in there is made of something that wont break down in heat, and is non-conductive. glass is good, if you can, use that. and if the parts you are using are old, take a can of air to them or you will end up with dust floating in the top of the tank.

i also suggest using the tank it the video, or one made of Similar material. glass can break and cheap stuff can melt, and you don't want 6-7 gallons of oil soaked in to your stuff.
    Last edited by Rainstride; June 8th, 2009 at 03:26 AM. Reason: typo's

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I wasn't really familiar with mineral oil before this, but after some research I've decided that mineral oil rocks! Just look at all of its uses.
    -Baby oil
    -Laxative
    -Suffocates parasites on animals
    -Mechanical lubricant
    -Shoe polish
    -Wood finish
    -Making Swedish Fish
    -Remove adhesives
    -Firebreathing fuel
    -Lava lamps
    This is seriously the coolest kind of oil ever!
    ndrw.me | Twitter
    Ubuntu + Vista | Dell Vostro 1500 | C2D 1.4GHz | 2GB | 120GB | nVidia 8400m GS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Rainstride View Post
    oh yeah, we added a neon blue light, one of those long bar lights(kind of like this http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/directron_2055_119150782 except not as weird). we hung it on the under side of the lid using those plastic pull ties, the glue pads wouldn't stick because we got oil on them. that and we figured the heat would kill the glue anyway. makes things a little safer. also, that is another reason to use mineral oil, mineral oil is clear, vegetable oil has a yellow tent(looks disgusting.)

we also put fish tank rocks and a little castle in there. MAKE SURE you know what your putting in there is made of something that wont break down in heat, and is non-conductive. glass is good, if you can, use that. and if the parts you are using are old, take a can of air to them or you will end up with dust floating in the top of the tank.

i also suggest using the tank it the video, or one made of Similar material. glass can break and cheap stuff can melt, and you don't want 6-7 gallons of oil soaked in to your stuff.
    Very nice 6 gal of oil all over my floor would be a disaster
    AMD Phenom 9500 Quad 2.2 GHz Asus M3N78-VM 4GB DDR2 32" HDTV montior
    Multi-boot Win7, Ubuntu 9.10, Kubuntu 9.10

Beans

do you put the harddrive and dvd drive in the mineral oil too?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    do you put the harddrive and dvd drive in the mineral oil too?
    No, those need to be dry. wont work in oil. Except Solid State HDD. Also on the wish list
    AMD Phenom 9500 Quad 2.2 GHz Asus M3N78-VM 4GB DDR2 32" HDTV montior
    Multi-boot Win7, Ubuntu 9.10, Kubuntu 9.10

Beans

No, those need to be dry. wont work in oil. Except Solid State HDD. Also on the wish list
    cool thanks looks like it would be pretty awesome to try to build one of these maybe when i get some spare cash i will
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Very nice 6 gal of oil all over my floor would be a disaster
    imagine how long that would take to clean up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by eolson View Post
    Mineral oil is a good insulator and cooling mechanism. It's been used for years as a coolant in high power "dummy loads" for tuning and testing transmitters. Should work with not problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dummy_load
    Some of the old Cray supercomputers also had certain circuit boards submerged in Fluorinert. So the idea isn't new, just sort of a novelty with PC's at the moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    cool thanks looks like it would be pretty awesome to try to build one of these maybe when i get some spare cash i will
    its a lot of fun to build, the best part is when you finally turn it on and it works.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast