Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mineral Oil PC!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Mineral Oil PC!

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    Would the humidity in the air pollute the coolant over time? That is more what I was wondering.
    I would imagine the humidity would pollute it over time, but with oil and water not mixing well it could be siphoned off periodically. One article said once a year is all that is needed.

And some use external radiators as well to cool the oil, some do not. My preference would be to cool it.
    AMD Phenom 9500 Quad 2.2 GHz Asus M3N78-VM 4GB DDR2 32" HDTV montior
    Multi-boot Win7, Ubuntu 9.10, Kubuntu 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by H2SO_four View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtufuXLvOok

When I first saw it, I didn't believe it. Then after watching it again I started to realize how cool this is. What do you guys/gals think? Waste of time? Stupid? Awesome?
    me and a friend built that exact setup, its awesome. it runs very hot, but because of how fluid dynamics/oil works you pretty much never have to worry about your parts over heating. hmm... i should build another one..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    Would the humidity in the air pollute the coolant over time? That is more what I was wondering.
    Oh.. that pollutant. Good point actually. Since water is heavier than oil, I guess it would layer at the bottom (if you left it running for a really long time). Or does microscopic droplets of water not follow that rule?
    ndrw.me | Twitter
    Ubuntu + Vista | Dell Vostro 1500 | C2D 1.4GHz | 2GB | 120GB | nVidia 8400m GS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Vostrocity View Post
    Oh.. that pollutant. Good point actually. Since water is heavier than oil, I guess it would layer at the bottom (if you left it running for a really long time). Or does microscopic droplets of water not follow that rule?
    no, the average temp is about 140-220 degrees depending on work load and hardware, even if there was a little water in there it would evaporate after it heats up.

just so long as you use mineral oil, all is right with the world. iv seen some idiots use vegetable oil (it goes bad.) .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Rainstride View Post
    me and a friend built that exact setup, its awesome. it runs very hot, but because of how fluid dynamics/oil works you pretty much never have to worry about your parts over heating. hmm... i should build another one..
    About what did it cost you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I would imagine the humidity would pollute it over time, but with oil and water not mixing well it could be siphoned off periodically. One article said once a year is all that is needed.

And some use external radiators as well to cool the oil, some do not. My preference would be to cool it.
    unless you are piping the heat out of your house or into the attic, its pointless. the way oil works causes the heat to be pulled from the parts just so long as there exposed to the oil. the one i built i remove all heat sinks and fans, its been working great at my friends house for the last year or so, with no problems good performance.

the only reason to pipe the heat out is to keep the room you are in cool. personally we just bought a window air conditioner. keeps the room from feeling like an oven.

Beans

i wonder how cool that would keep a pc. mineral oil is rather cheap and i would love to have a machine in an aquarium looks cool as hell
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

About what did it cost you?
    if i remember right it was about 200-250 for all the stuff (7 gallons of oil, fish tank, mother board tray, and a power supply cause his crapped out in the middle of building it.). you can get the oil at a farming supply store. make sure it is mineral oil, vegetable oil will go bad. and can cause fires if heated too much.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Rainstride View Post
    if i remember right it was about 200-250 for all the stuff (7 gallons of oil, fish tank, mother board tray, and a power supply cause his crapped out in the middle of building it.). you can get the oil at a farming supply store. make sure it is mineral oil, vegetable oil will go bad. and can cause fires if heated too much.
    Ok, thanks This is on my list of things to do. Did you do any special lighting inside?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I imagine it would be a big mess if you bring it around to all your LAN parties.
    ndrw.me | Twitter
    Ubuntu + Vista | Dell Vostro 1500 | C2D 1.4GHz | 2GB | 120GB | nVidia 8400m GS

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast