Thread: problem updating to openoffice 3.1

Beans

problem updating to openoffice 3.1

Hello all,

I am having a problem trying to update openoffice to 3.1 on unbuntu 9.04. For some reason, the system freezes up on me. When I open synaptic I get the follwoing message in a window:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

If I try to remove the old version of openoffice it will get to the point where it says: Removing openoffice.org-writer2latex and then go no further. At that point I cannot open any other window, and have to hit the reset button on the computer to reboot the system.

Thanks for any help.

Beans

Re: problem updating to openoffice 3.1

Did you follow the directions and try 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' in the terminal? That might help.

Beans

When I type in sudo dpkg --configure -a the response is:

john@ubuntu:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
    [sudo] password for john:
    john@ubuntu:~$

(should I be getting some type of message?)

After I do that when I go into Synaptic I press the ¨Mark All Upgrades¨, and then ¨Apply¨. It downloads the Openoffice 3.1 files and tells me that it will remove 1 file (openoffice.org-writer2latex). After downloading the files it gives the message ¨Removing openoffice.org-writer2latex¨, goes no where, and then I cannot open other windows and need to restart the machine.

Thanks

Beans

I should have mentioned that openoffice.org-writer2latex is still on the computer when I restart, and repeating the process gives the same results.

Thanks for any help.

Beans

I just tried sudo dpkg --force all --remove openoffice.org-writer2latex in the terminal and am getting the same results.

I cannot open windows, but my mouse is still able to move on the screen, and I have to hit the reset button to get the computer operating again.

Thanks for any help.

Beans

When the computer restarted, I went into the grub menu and choose recovery mode and choose the ¨Fix broken Packages¨ option. After pressing ¨d¨ for details, it gives me the list of Openoffice files it will install, and the removal of openoffice.org-writer2latex.

Continuing with the installation in gives a bunch of address (I guess), and finally a line that says:

[135.739009] Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed!

After leaving it be for 20 min, I come back and the same message is there on the screen. It does not seem to be doing anything.

After restarting the computer, I am still having the same problem.

Thank for any help.

John

Beans

Try booting into recovery mode and using fsck. It might find some errors. You also are having trouble getting into Windows? So you dual-boot? Or are you talking about having trouble getting into GNOME?

Beans

Actually, I only use ubuntu. I do not have a dual boot machine. Sorry if that confused anybody.

Went into recovery mode and choose the ¨fsck¨ option. The screen says:

mount: /is busy

Then goes back to the boot option screen.

If I drop down to a shell and type ¨fsck¨ it gives me a worrying that doing so on a mounted drive is not advisable.

Thanks for any help.

Beans

I got it. There seem to be a conflict with openoffice and the real time kernel. After installing the generic kernel and booting to it, I was able to remove the package. Openoffice does not seem to operate with the real time kernel, but is doing fine with the generic one. I guess that is another problem for another thread.

Thanks for everyone help.