Thread: Macbook 3,1 - Trackpad like OS X?

Beans

Macbook 3,1 - Trackpad like OS X?

So I've read a lot of threads, some claiming that the trackpad works fine, others say that the trackpad is nothing like OS X, and everything in between. There's almost too many threads to read.

Is this an issue for certain versions of the Macbook? Honestly the ONLY thing keeping me from using Ubuntu 9.04 as my main OS is the trackpad issues I've been hearing about.

Sorry if this is a repeat issue but like I said, I've read a ton of threads and I still don't know what to make of the issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Macbook 3,1 - Trackpad like OS X?

Quote Originally Posted by thecheeks View Post
    So I've read a lot of threads, some claiming that the trackpad works fine, others say that the trackpad is nothing like OS X, and everything in between. There's almost too many threads to read.

Is this an issue for certain versions of the Macbook? Honestly the ONLY thing keeping me from using Ubuntu 9.04 as my main OS is the trackpad issues I've been hearing about.

Sorry if this is a repeat issue but like I said, I've read a ton of threads and I still don't know what to make of the issue.
    you're going to have to be more specific about the functionality you are wanting. 'like osx' could mean a lot of things.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    you're going to have to be more specific about the functionality you are wanting. 'like osx' could mean a lot of things.
    Sorry about that. I fired up a Live CD and noticed I had to put a tooon of pressure on the pad just to get it to recognize any movement, and sometimes that was spotty. It was a pain to do any sort of mouse movements from the pad itself. Scrolling with 2 fingers seemed fine.

Can you modify the pressure needed to move the mouse from the pad? With OSX it seems to notice your finger with very minimal pressure on it. I didn't notice any 'block' style movement like some users have talked about. Maybe I'll install it with a mouse and try to find some pad improvements.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by thecheeks View Post
    Sorry about that. I fired up a Live CD and noticed I had to put a tooon of pressure on the pad just to get it to recognize any movement, and sometimes that was spotty. It was a pain to do any sort of mouse movements from the pad itself. Scrolling with 2 fingers seemed fine.

Can you modify the pressure needed to move the mouse from the pad? With OSX it seems to notice your finger with very minimal pressure on it. I didn't notice any 'block' style movement like some users have talked about. Maybe I'll install it with a mouse and try to find some pad improvements.
    yes, you can modify the pressure needed for the touchpad to detect a touch.
    You can see the detailed tweeaks for your specific hardware here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook3-1/Jaunty

You can see the touchpad configuration in the touchpad section.... specifically, the "FingerLow" and "FingerHigh" options affect this sensitivity.