Thread: Screen lock?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Screen lock?

I'd like to know how to do the following two things.

1-set a hotkey to lock the screen in KDE4.2 (such as Winkey + L)

2-Have the screen auto lock after a set time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Screen lock?

1. The default key combination to lock the screen would be Ctrl+Alt+L. If you want to change it, go to Kmenu>Computer>System Settings, here pick Keyboard & Mouse and then Global Keyboard Shortcuts. Under KDE Component choose "Run Command Interface" and define a custom key combination for "Lock Session". Notice the Winkey+L is already used by Amarok, so you may need to change that to prevent conflict.

2. This you can set with your screensaver.
    Wish I could prove I love you, but does that mean I have to walk on water?
    When we are older you'll understand it's enough when I say so, and maybe some things are that simple.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hot damn, thank you very much, sir.

Beans

Years later this response by @amingv has helped a noob navigate some simple functions in Linux. Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by amingv View Post
    1. The default key combination to lock the screen would be Ctrl+Alt+L. If you want to change it, go to Kmenu>Computer>System Settings, here pick Keyboard & Mouse and then Global Keyboard Shortcuts. Under KDE Component choose "Run Command Interface" and define a custom key combination for "Lock Session". Notice the Winkey+L is already used by Amarok, so you may need to change that to prevent conflict.

2. This you can set with your screensaver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.