Thread: Seek Help with Graphics Issue? Toshiba Satellite

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Seek Help with Graphics Issue? Toshiba Satellite

I am helping a friend who had bootlegged XP (which I had discouraged) on a Toshiba Satellite Laptop. It got pretty well shredded by at least one virus, and I talked her into letting me put Ubuntu on it after considering a few options.

The only problem I am having, is that nothing graphical will work (not even the installer!).

Ubuntu Server installs and works fine (text command line only).

I tried the alternate installer for Ubuntu, and it works fine. But it will not boot, it hangs where GNOME normally kicks in. I tried recovery boot, checked file system, attempted the autofix graphics problem utility.

The system runs perfectly in command line mode, but still hangs for normal boot or when "startx" command is issued.

I have no idea what version of Toshiba Satellite this is, nor much about hardware, etc as I don't know commands for identifying this type of stuff yet. I have network connection working. I am looking for someone who can help me troubleshoot what is likely a graphics problem and get GNOME running.

A good start might be to help me learn how to identify the model/version of this laptop and how to identify the hardware and CPU/memory/disk and other basics.

Thanks!
    1) Ubuntu 9.04 Server - Apache / Samba
    2) Kubuntu 9.04 / OSX 10.6.3 ~ MacBook, Dual 2.0GHz, 2GB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Seek Help with Graphics Issue? Toshiba Satellite

Hello. I accidentally posted this thread twice (hit two buttons when posting...oops)

I don't know how to delete threads I make by mistake. Can someone out there get rid of it?
    Also, tell me what to do so I can mop up my own mess in the future?

Thanks.
    1) Ubuntu 9.04 Server - Apache / Samba
    2) Kubuntu 9.04 / OSX 10.6.3 ~ MacBook, Dual 2.0GHz, 2GB