Thread: Scanner Question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Scanner Question

I have installed my Epson Photo 1660 on Ubuntu 9.04. Everything seems to work fine, except 2 minor problems that I can't seem to find a fix for.
    I worked on this for a few hours last evening, but finally gave up, when I was just making matters worse.
    I'm using Xsane.

1. When I scan a full page (letter size) to a file and then try to print it out, it only prints out at about 75% of the normal letter size. What am I missing to have it print out at the original letter size? I'm sure it's right in front of me. I'm just not seeing it.

2. The quality of the copied output is very poor. The text is partially degraded and not nearly as dark as the input.
    I have played around with several of the settings in Xsane, but I can't find anything that improves the quality for the output.

Any help with these is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Scanner Question

1. Try previewing the scan first and making sure the entire document is selected before scanning. I've found the logic that automatically minimizes white space in Xsane can be a little flakey at times.

2. Make sure you are scanning at at a high enough resolution. 150 dpi for line art and 300 ddi for graphics is usually good enough without making the file size too large.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Scanner Question

chrisod,

Thanks. I'll try again using your recommendations.

Spot