Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's happy with Jaunty?

oxf is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Who's happy with Jaunty?

I posted a separate thread on upgrading from Hardy to Jaunty. I also did a bit of reading around on the topic trying to get a sense of any problems I might encounter. Well of course I read about various problems, system freezing up etc etc etc. But again this can happen on any release right?

Result is now having burned the 9.04 Live CD I'm rather hesitant (and depressed) to go ahead and install Jaunty. So I'd like to hear from people who are happy with Jaunty and feel positive about it!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Who's happy with Jaunty?

I'm fairly happy with it. The only thing I didn't like was that my wireless broke and I had to connect to ethernet to run update and fix it. Because that there are some nice improvements overall, especially if you use GNOME.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by oxf View Post
    I posted a separate thread on upgrading from Hardy to Jaunty. I also did a bit of reading around on the topic trying to get a sense of any problems I might encounter. Well of course I read about various problems, system freezing up etc etc etc. But again this can happen on any release right?

Result is now having burned the 9.04 Live CD I'm rather hesitant (and depressed) to go ahead and install Jaunty. So I'd like to hear from people who are happy with Jaunty and feel positive about it!
    Best release yet. Upgraded smooth n'sweet from 8.10. I love Jaunty. Running it on all four machines in the household.
    Ubuntu/10.04 Lucid Lynx | AMD Athlon X64 3000+ | 3 GB RAM | 650 GB (3 WD HDDs) + 750 GB external (WD) |ATI X700 EXCALIBUR PRO (256 MB)|FF/3.6.9

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I recently made the switch from Hardy to Jaunty, and of course, went the wrong way about it I just did a fresh install. Im now bringing back all my programs, and getting things set up the way I like em. I must say though, that when installing Jaunty, I had fewer problems than when initially setting up Hardy. Hardy gave me quite a few driver problems, and networking never really worked right. Jaunty however, worked perfectly out of the box, with full Graphics Acceleration. Also, it fitted in perfectly with my existing Windows network.

A small, but to me significant improvement in Jaunty, the desktop wall effect. When switching between workspaces, only your open windows move. Menu panels remain in place. Its a trivial thing, but flicking workspaces in Hardy used give me sea sickness

Also, a final note about my upgrade to Jaunty. The initial updates were around 50-100Mb. The rest of my programs, 200Mb. A total of around 300Mb to download after install. Compare that to the 400Mb of pure updates for Hardy. To those with strict ISP download limits, thats a good improvement
    Acer Aspire T650, 3GHz PIV 1.4Gb RAM ATi Radeon Xpress 200
    320+80GB SATA Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic x86_64 Windows XP Home SP3

Linux Expresso - Now featuring videos of my systems!

Beans
    Hidden!

I also had a good experience with Jaunty. I even have one of the ill-fated Intel 8xx cards, and I still think Jaunty's a good stable release.

Had to upgrade to the newest 2.6.30 kernel to get proper flash playback, but other than that, good good.

Beans

I was very happy with Jaunty. Smoothest yet. I decided to do a fresh install, because I didn't want any old configurations to hamper Jaunty's out-of-the-box setup, and I have a seperate home partition which made that easier (although I backed up and deleted all files and folders which began with a . to make sure all configurations were reset, then brought back some as I needed them). It was perfect. I did have to connect by ethernet cable to get my wireless working, but Jaunty prompted me to do all that, and made it really simple.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Liking it a lot: 64-bit version and ext4 & all is fast & (so far) steady as a rock

I also particularly like the New Wave theme - first Ubuntu desktop that looks grown-up straight out of the box...

Very easy to install, too (AMD64x2; GeForce 7300GT) & everything recognised without any hassles

Definitely worth a try...!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have Intel GMA965, and for me, Jaunty is the best Ubuntu yet.

Here's are some things that have worked better for me over previous versions.

1) Compiz - Initially the cube was not the smoothest, but after enabling UXA and installing the latest stable X.org drivers from the X-updates PPA, the cube is the smoothest it has ever been. I absolutely need Compiz as it allows me to switch easily between Jaunty and my full-screen XP virtualbox using the Scale plugin.

2) Suspend and Hibernate work better than ever for me.

3) Dual Monitors - Although the "Clone Screens" is still not up to the mark, Extended Monitors works perfectly without having to restart X.
    1)Toshiba A205-S5855,C2D,4GB => Vista SP1 + 11.04 Ubuntu 64B + 11.10 Ubuntu 64B
    2)Acer AO 532h-2588 Netbook => Win7 Starter + 11.04 Xubuntu 32B + Peppermint One
    3)Intel Dual-Core HTPC (Toshiba 40" LCD over HDMI),2GB => 11.10 Ubuntu 32B Gnome Shell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

sound works at last (both pulse and alsa)

that talks for itself

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

me.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast