Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone else frustrated by lack of updated libs for 8.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

anyone else frustrated by lack of updated libs for 8.04?

Gotta say, for an LTS release that has another year to go (+2 for support), I'm running into too many roadblocks compiling the latest versions of apps...So many unsatisfiable dependencies...Why aren't more updated libs backported to Hardy?

(and even enabling proposed and unsupported backport updates in synaptic doesn't always yield the newest vers.)

8.04 is the best, most stable release I can remember, yet a lot of the .deb pkg versions in the repos are ancient! I'm having to update by getting stuff through GetDebs website

any similar experiences?
    Last edited by logos34; June 5th, 2009 at 07:30 AM.

Soul-Sing is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: anyone else frustrated by lack of updated libs for 8.04?

yes, newest version of sun java....pfff. Update -13 was a major security update, hardy delivers no -13 update...I do not understand why. So i do most updates myself, but thats not the way it should be imo.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

That's how it is.

After release, program versions in Ubuntu are not supposed to be updated.Updates are provided only for security reasons and to fix serious bugs, never just to add new features. And quite often the security updates are even handled by patching current program version instead of packaging a new one.. Anything backported should be considered as nice extra, definitely not something you're supposed to expect to happen.

If you are not happy with using stable and tested program versions, Ubuntu probably isn't the distribution for you. Or at least you should update to latest Ubuntu releases.

(By the way, unless you are doing active package testing you shouldn't be using the proposed-repository. That's where packages are added for testers, after they are confirmed to work without issues they are always moved into backports repository. So you will get same programs week or two later but with smaller risk of things breaking by using the backports only.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

this is so bad, ubuntu told it'll support untill 2011 the updates, i hardly see 2 or 3 updates per week, how many of you think 8.04 is great??
    its lot more stable, user friendly, updates should be given.........
    Abhilash Muthuraj-views
    I always believe that Linux,
    "In a world of no walls or fences, we don't need WINDOWS or GATES"
    New to Ubuntu??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by logos34 View Post
    Gotta say, for an LTS release that has another year to go (+2 for support), I'm running into too many roadblocks compiling the latest versions of apps...So many unsatisfiable dependencies...Why aren't more updated libs backported to Hardy?

(and even enabling proposed and unsupported backport updates in synaptic doesn't always yield the newest vers.)

8.04 is the best, most stable release I can remember, yet a lot of the .deb pkg versions in the repos are ancient! I'm having to update by getting stuff through GetDebs website

any similar experiences?

i agree to your words, i just tried ubuntu 8.10, it was more of security and lot of problems, instant restart and once it got hanged......
    but hardy heron is best i've seen, so smooth in performance............
    Abhilash Muthuraj-views
    I always believe that Linux,
    "In a world of no walls or fences, we don't need WINDOWS or GATES"
    New to Ubuntu??

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Why not try Jaunty. I always tend to update to the newest version of software. 6mths between OS releases is great. Keeps everything fresh.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by abhilashm86 View Post
    this is so bad, ubuntu told it'll support untill 2011 the updates, i hardly see 2 or 3 updates per week, how many of you think 8.04 is great??
    its lot more stable, user friendly, updates should be given.........
    Support doesn't mean the same as providing new program versions. It meas providing security updates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    That's how it is.

After release, program versions in Ubuntu are not supposed to be updated.Updates are provided only for security reasons and to fix serious bugs, never just to add new features. And quite often the security updates are even handled by patching current program version instead of packaging a new one.. Anything backported should be considered as nice extra, definitely not something you're supposed to expect to happen.

If you are not happy with using stable and tested program versions, Ubuntu probably isn't the distribution for you. Or at least you should update to latest Ubuntu releases.

(By the way, unless you are doing active package testing you shouldn't be using the proposed-repository. That's where packages are added for testers, after they are confirmed to work without issues they are always moved into backports repository. So you will get same programs week or two later but with smaller risk of things breaking by using the backports only.)
    thanks for backport vs. proposed repo tip...yeah, maybe I should be running debian sid or the like! But I like ubuntu too much to ever leave it

Beans

Running Debian sid might be a bit challenging, especially if you try to use GNOME. I like Debian sid in the form of the Sidux distro, but of course, they don't support GNOME. I'm currently running Jaunty, but waiting patiently for the 2009-02 release of Sidux.

Beans

Ubuntu 8.04 is a bad choice for someone who wants "the latest versions of apps" (sorry to be so blunt) The LTS releases like 8.04 are really designed for enterprise deployment, servers, and conservative users who frankly don't want a lot of updates.

Sounds to me what you really want is a rolling release distro, so you get new apps when they are available (instaed of waiting for the next scheduled release). Arch, Sidux, and Debian Testing (Squeeze) are my favorite 3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast