Thread: Dead monitor on Desktop, how to access

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Dead monitor on Desktop, how to access

Hello All.

Sorry for the rather "cryptic" thread title, but it sums up what my problem is.

We recently moved, and the monitor on my desktop didn't survive the trip. I don't really want to have to buy a new monitor for the system just at the moment and was wondering if it is at all possible to access the system without one?

I know I could SSH, but I'm not sure SSH is set up on this system?

I believe that it is running debian, but don't aks me which one!

If I connect it up to the router will I be able to SSH to it - I will be able to determine the local IP address from information from the router.

In fact reading the above I get the feeling I'm going to be out of luck!

I may have installed SSH at some point in the past on this terminal, but if I set it to use a "key" will I be able to access it with my normal username and password?

Or am I best to just have a go and see.... which is what I will probably do over the weekend.

I know that I have data on this box I don't want to loose, and I have the disk partitioned up to keep things safe etc.

Your thought are appreciated

thanks in advance

David
    Eee pc via Wubi install.
    evertying works straight out of the box

My Launchpad page

Beans

Re: Dead monitor on Desktop, how to access

Unless you have the thing set up to act as an ssh server (or even a telnet server) I think you are basically stuffed. I don't know if debian installs/activates that by default.

Your router admin panels should be able to tell you the IP of the problem machine.

You could pick up a second-hand monitor cheap on fleabay if you have troubles.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

You can find used crt monitors on auction sites and places like craigslist for super cheap.
    You may just be better off doing something like this instead of buying a new one.

Also assuming you're talking about sshing to this box, how do you plan to do that without a monitor?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    Also assuming you're talking about sshing to this box, how do you plan to do that without a monitor?
    I was going to do that from my laptop.

I think I did set up SSH on the system, but I'm not sure if I used a pgp key or some such (in which case I am probably stuffed as mixmaster says). If not, I should be able to access with username / password combo. And then bob is your mother's brother

Or at least I hope that is what will work!

Can I throw in a live CD and SSH to that?? or is that again not a possibility? I'm sure that the desktop has a "preboot execution environment" but how do I access the bios without the monitor!?

Could I plug in the keyboard, power on and hit <ctrl.alt.del> and then access the bios from my laptop in some manner??

I'm grabbing at straws now, if you hadn't guessed!

otherwise I guess it is "wait until christmas" for doing an upgrade and getting mythBuntu onto the system (so as we can see some decent TV!).

Ah well... I guess for now all is curtains!

David
    Eee pc via Wubi install.

My Launchpad page

Beans

If you have a TV then a VGA to TV adapter might help in the short term.

Here's one for sale for about $4: http://www.brilliantstore.com/comput..._cpa_1268.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try using remote login from gdm on ur laptop(if running ubuntu as well.) There's option for u to login remotely to another system.

U will need ssh for the secure remote connection. Or XDMCP.

Beans
    Distro

hello all,

sorry forgot to mark this one as now solved.

used an adapter so I could use my old TV.

and now we have a nice shiny new projector TV - so I have a 1.5m wide screen pc experience

and it was much better value than a flat pannel of the same size (and much much much better value than a LED tv).

David
    Eee pc via Wubi install.

My Launchpad page