Thread: Amarok collection at home. How to use it from work?

Beans

Amarok collection at home. How to use it from work?

I have my mp3s, manually set tags, ratings, lyrics, etc... everything in my home computer.
    I would like to know what would be the best way to re-use this from work.

For example, can I just copy the mp3 to work and keep the tags + ratings + lyrics from home? If I change the tags at work will they be updated at home?
    I mean, what I want is to re-use what I already have at home, while keeping things synchronized.

I'm sure almost everyone here has to deal with this issue.

I thought about ssh, but that wouldn't work due to network issues.
    For example, a 320kbps translates into 40 KBytes/sec, which is too much for me.

It would seem the only other way would be to use the sql database from home, but I'm not even sure if that would work =(

Thanks for any feedback!

Beans

Beans

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Amarok collection at home. How to use it from work?

Well, you could use Orb (www.orb.com) under a VMWare installation..although this would be quite heavy and would depend on your specs.

Alternatively, I have had a look around and found http://en.jinzora.com/ and http://ampache.org/

Both of these will allow your music/video to be available anywhere, not sure how they handle ratings though, but tags shouldn't be an issue.

Hope that helps
    Intel E8400 - 4gb Corsair DDR2-6400 - 4.5tb combined diskspace - Nvidia 9600T 1024mb - Samsung 22" WS & Eizo 19" (Twinview 2960x1050)
    The Shrooms | The Laughing Wolf | Amarok 1.4 in Jaunty | Still praying for MediaMonkey Linux