Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Choppy Video

Beans

Re: Choppy Video

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    Good chance that has something to do with it. Go to System > Administration > System Monitor > Processes and see what processes are hogging the cpu.
    This is weird. The cpu hog seems to be the system monitor itself ("gnome-system-monitor.") I used to leave the system monitor applet open in the panel, but now I've deleted it. But the system monitor processes tab indicates that the system monitor is still using 10% to 20 % CPU, and the resources tab still indicates that the CPUs are running 20% to 50%, with spikes as high as 75%. Again, I have no video or taxing apps open (that I know of.) Can I end the gnome-system-monitor process safely?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Probably. But try shutting down System Monitor and going to a terminal and running...

...and see if System Monitor is still the hog. If it is, open another terminal and run...

killall gnome-system-monitor

...and then watch top and see what else is hogging the cpu (if anything).

Does Flash play well now?

If so, reboot and see if there is a gnome-system-monitor process going in top.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Probably. But try shutting down System Monitor and going to a terminal and running...

...and see if System Monitor is still the hog. If it is, open another terminal and run...

killall gnome-system-monitor

...and then watch top and see what else is hogging the cpu (if anything).

Does Flash play well now?

If so, reboot and see if there is a gnome-system-monitor process going in top.
    OK, I get it. When System Manager is running, then System Manager was the hog. In "top," it didn't even show up, so no reason to kill it. No other hogs -- Firefox tops out at 6%-7%. Nothing else is that close. Video still choppy on various sites. I think this may just be a mystery, but I'd welcome other ideas. Machine still feels likes it's running hot, but no numbers to confirm that. Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Try re-installing flash...

sudo apt-get --purge remove flashplugin-*
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

Then restart your browser.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Try re-installing flash...

sudo apt-get --purge remove flashplugin-*
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

Then restart your browser.
    No change. I think my next step will be to try another network. Maybe, it is the Internet connection.

Beans

I have this problem in Hulu as well. In windows I would get choppy video if I used fullscreen but in Ubuntu I'm getting tearing all the time and occasional dips in flash video frame rate. Youtube doesn't get any tearing but it does feel sluggish in HQ and the CPU usage for Firefox somehow gets up to over 100%. I have a 2.2GHz Core2 Duo and an nVidia 8600M GT.

Beans

The default System Monitor in 9.04 is preposterous. I had never used Ubuntu until about a month ago and I installed it on an old machine; I thought, "This is great, but I'd like to have a monitor running so I know what's going on" and I discovered that the System Monitor ALWAYS does this - at least on my setup. It's rather like a brain surgeon operating on his own brain, it's so recursive. I read some more and switched to Conky and problem solved.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Azati Prime View Post
    I have this problem in Hulu as well. In windows I would get choppy video if I used fullscreen but in Ubuntu I'm getting tearing all the time and occasional dips in flash video frame rate. Youtube doesn't get any tearing but it does feel sluggish in HQ and the CPU usage for Firefox somehow gets up to over 100%. I have a 2.2GHz Core2 Duo and an nVidia 8600M GT.
    Hulu, YouTube, Crackle . . . all the same. They were fine until about the time I upgraded. Coincidence or not? Still working on it.

Beans

I've got the same problem.

Since I upgraded to Jaunty (fresh install) I get chopy flash video. My system is Athlon X2 1.9 GHz, 2 GB RAM, nvidia chipset 6150 LE, Ubuntu 9.04 32 bits.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mantelo View Post
    I've got the same problem.

Since I upgraded to Jaunty (fresh install) I get chopy flash video. My system is Athlon X2 1.9 GHz, 2 GB RAM, nvidia chipset 6150 LE, Ubuntu 9.04 32 bits.
    I'm probably not helping much, but it could be Nvidia. I've tried everything imaginable to get fullscreen flash to work at an acceptable level on my desktop.

Ubuntu 9.04 64bit with same plugins, Firefox, medium desktop effects:

An old Gateway notebook, 2.2ghz AMD64 bit, 1GB ram, and a 64MB dedicated ATI card. Result? Flash runs perfect, including Hulu at fullscreen.

On my newer dual core desktop, with 4gb of ram and a 512mb Nvidia 8800GT card. Fullscreen flash is downright horrible here. I dual boot this desktop, and it's fine in Win 7 64bit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast