Thread: firefox so slow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

firefox so slow

Why is firefox so slow after updating to jaunty. Really it takes ages to load and run plus wait time for pages is terrible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: firefox so slow

This is a good place to start to fix it:
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/speed-up-f...b-browser.html
    Really does speed things up.
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for the reply, I have bookmarked and will be looking closely at it tomorrow. I would like to know why do we need to do this? What is going wrong in the first place?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nothing is really wrong. Firefox is a browser that works with many OS's, therefore, it must have the settings to allow it to do so. The link I sent you is just to tweak those settings for the Ubuntu family
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just for curiosity, could you post the result of Peacekeeper benchmark?

Extensions can slow it down considerably. In my case, if I have all my extensions loaded, performance drops about 20-30%.

You could also try to optimize Firefrox databases. There is a tutorial somewhere about this with an optimization script, but I can't find it. You can try my own script, which is not elegant. Follow instructions below:

1 ) install sqlite3
    2) create an empty file where you save your personal scripts (usually ~/bin) and name it firefox-databases, then right-click on it, select Preferences, then Permissions tab, then select the option "Allow to execute as program".
    3) Create a new empty file in the same folder and name it firefox-optimize, then add the code below to it and save it.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

killall firefox

echo "#!/bin/bash" > $HOME/bin/firefox-databases

echo "" >> $HOME/bin/firefox-databases

find $HOME/.mozilla -type f \( -name "*.sqlite" \) | sed 's/.*/sqlite3 &/g' | sed 's/.*/& "vacuum"/g' >> $HOME/bin/firefox-databases

$HOME/bin/firefox-databases
    Then make it also executable and run it from the terminal.

Code:
    firefox-optimize
    The script above will basically search for all sqlite databases on the ~/.mozilla folder, create a new script to optimize these databases, save it as firefox-databases in your script directory and will execute it.

UKeywords: 649167 2009 june sqlite sqlite3 optimization firefox script performance vacuum
    Last edited by lovinglinux; June 21st, 2009 at 05:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Give epiphany browser a try.

It is very similar to Firefox but is super lightweight.

It is in the repos.

Powel

Also for the purpose of testing the integrity of your Firefox install you could create a new user, log out, log in as new user and try firefox as new user and see if it improves at all.

P.

Beans

hi, i was having a slowdown on firefox for winxp, when i updated to firefox3, so i downgraded to firefox2, and the speed returned. but yes, the slowdown may have to do with addons.