Thread: Toshiba 1805-S204 Won't Finish Booting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Toshiba 1805-S204 Won't Finish Booting

Hi, I'm not new to Ubuntu, but I found a problem trying to install it on an older Toshiba Satellite 1805-S204.

I used Wubi to put Xubuntu 9.04 on it, but when I try to boot into that install, the machine grinds away for about three minutes, beeps loudly three times at me, and then shuts down. I tried verbose mode, and found an ACPI message that stated that it was repeatedly shutting down due to high temperatures (68-74 degrees). The fan in the unit is working, and I can hear it speed up as the processor works harder. I would say this is a hardware problem, but the unit runs XP just fine, never shuts down. I also have found a number of ACPI issues on the net with this laptop. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    Michael B. in Cincinnati -> Cheap system! -> ASUS P5Q SE2, Intel 2180 Core 2 Duo, 2 GB of RAM, 1 TB HD, GeForce 200.

I love the smell of Ubuntu in the morning!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Toshiba 1805-S204 Won't Finish Booting

I stumbled onto the noapic option on bootup; that allowed me to successfully install. Wireless didn't work for three days, and then all of a sudden kicked in. Now, all I have to do is fix the display resolution.
    Michael B. in Cincinnati -> Cheap system! -> ASUS P5Q SE2, Intel 2180 Core 2 Duo, 2 GB of RAM, 1 TB HD, GeForce 200.

I love the smell of Ubuntu in the morning!