Thread: MIDI in Firefox: should I install Gecko Media Player or MPlayer-Plugin for Mozilla?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question MIDI in Firefox: should I install Gecko Media Player or MPlayer-Plugin for Mozilla?

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) and Firefox 3.0.10.

While using Firefox, I came to a web page contained a MIDI file.

The choices I was offered for plugin downloads are Gecko Media Player, and MPlayer-Plugin for Mozilla.

Which is preferable, and why?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: MIDI in Firefox: should I install Gecko Media Player or MPlayer-Plugin for Mozill

I'm not so sure about Gecko, but MPlayer seems popular. From posts online, it seems the MPlayer Mozilla plugin is the preferred replacement for flash. But I think you would have to uninstall the Totem plugin first, as it is the default.

Personally I use Mplayer. I checked the supported types, MIDI is one of them, however I haven't come across MIDI files using MPlayer yet. Also, in Firefox, MPlayer seems to be better than Totem in playing media streams as it shows the percent of media loaded, while Totem does not.
    Happy GNU/Linux user. Not so noob anymore!
    There are only 10 types of people in the world — those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Beans

Re: MIDI in Firefox: should I install Gecko Media Player or MPlayer-Plugin for Mozill

Neither.

Just open up synaptic and install totem-mozilla and restart firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by VgnStirfry View Post
    I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) and Firefox 3.0.10.

While using Firefox, I came to a web page contained a MIDI file.

The choices I was offered for plugin downloads are Gecko Media Player, and MPlayer-Plugin for Mozilla.

Which is preferable, and why?
    I have Firefox 3.0 in Ubuntu 9.04, and the only thing I have found to play embedded midi files is this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install timidity mozplugger
    I already have totem-mozilla installed; I re-installed it and restarted Firefox with no effect, and I installed mplayer plugin for firefox (mozilla-mplayer and all of its dependencies) with no effect.

I had to run this timidity install under Ubuntu 8.04 as well to get embedded midis to play.
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Running on:
    2.8 GHz Pentium 4 with 1.2 GiB of RAM
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS: 1GHz AMD Athlon, 512Mbytes RAM, NVIDIA Video card, 64Mbytes RAM